TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Bench Identification
dougvca Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:12 am

Can anyone tell me what year and type of bus this rear bench is for?

j.pickens Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 am

Since the seat back is attached, it's definitely not a split bus rear seat. Doesn't have a folding 1/3-2/3 section, so it's also not a split bus middle seat. Its a post 67 seat, anyway. Not sure from what.

cru62 Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:02 am

School Bus? Doesn't really look like a VW bus seat. Almost looks like a Binz rear seat. Are the seats built up off of wood bottoms?

Man, that looks close. If that is even close to it, you maybe sitting on a goldmine. Be prepared for a mini-avalanche of PMs.

dougvca Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 am

CRU62, the picture you posted looks just like the one I asked about. Sad that this won't work in my 1960 bus but, maybe it'll bring me enough moola to get the correct one.... maybe! Let the bidding begin!! :?

j.pickens Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 am

Thicker tubing stock, missing outer brace along sides, has safety holes for a much later base clamp style. Not Binz. Vanagon?

EverettB Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 am

You can clearly tell it's not a Binz seat from the tubing design.

My first thought was school Bus too.

Z Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 am

Could it be from any of the S. American buses, or other unusual production areas?

EverettB Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 am

The airport Bus came to mind but it's different.

Example

olliehank47 Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 pm

dougvca wrote: Can anyone tell me what year and type of bus this rear bench is for?

Could you post the dimensions? Especially the height of the seat from the ground as that seat looks to be a bit lower than a bus seat. Include the spacing between the legs, as well. That information may eliminate it as a bus seat or offer a clue as to what vehicle it would belong.

BarryL Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 am

I once had a '53 Chevy Suburban that had mildly similar seats. (not mine) http://s213.photobucket.com/user/MLOPEZ49/media/003-2.jpg.html
Maybe Rover?