TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for input on this concept. Page: 1, 2  Next
AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:28 pm

Thought I would make this concept car and see what everyone thought.

It started as a 1952 Beetle. The idea would be to put a Type 3 flat to give more room in the back.
Any input on how to make this image better would be greatly appreciated.

babysnakes Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Build it! I dare you. Just make sure it looks like the pic. :wink:

-Zodiac- Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:50 pm

this is just a concept right, not an idea ? :wink:

As for input on the pic, it doesn't look like that little suicide door would work,

[email protected] Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:21 pm

I like the lines, it would make an elegant car if done right. Loose the little back door. It is so narrow that the normal front seat folding forward allows better access. The spit window will whistle nonstop. And Zodiac is right, the rear fender would prevent it from opening.

MacLeod Willy Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:32 pm

That would be a real conversation piece. I like the idea.
Lets vote: yea

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm

-Zodiac- wrote: this is just a concept right, not an idea ? :wink:

As for input on the pic, it doesn't look like that little suicide door would work,

Why do you think it would not work? It worked here:
http://www.carscoops.com/2009/05/ebay-find-1965-vw-beetle-with-mini.html

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:01 pm

[email protected] wrote: I like the lines, it would make an elegant car if done right. Loose the little back door. It is so narrow that the normal front seat folding forward allows better access. The spit window will whistle nonstop. And Zodiac is right, the rear fender would prevent it from opening.

Perhaps with the hinge where I put it, that might be correct. I could move it down and loose about an inch and a half on the door.

vwtrey Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:06 pm

I like the idea. I don't care for the little door though.

Also, each pillar is different in too many ways. Kinda driving me nuts.

-Zodiac- Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 pm

yeah but look how it opens.

only one door striker, so it uses the back door to hold the front - like they do on modern trucks.

with the way yours is set up you would have a little pillar there, if you wanted to use two door handles ..with that setup you could maybe squeeze a suitcase into the backseat.

You could also make it open like a regular door - and increase the size of the small door, keeping the contour of the rear fender.

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 pm

How about this for a change?

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 pm

-Zodiac- wrote: yeah but look how it opens.

only one door striker, so it uses the back door to hold the front - like they do on modern trucks.

with the way yours is set up you would have a little pillar there, if you wanted to use two door handles ..with that setup you could maybe squeeze a suitcase into the backseat.

You could also make it open like a regular door - and increase the size of the small door, keeping the contour of the rear fender.

That is true. Good point. So if I kept the door, it would have to open with the hinges where that one has them.

vwracerdave Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 pm

The shape of the middle window looks horrible and needs to be more squared off.

Brian Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

I agree with dave on the window.

My personal liking, I would make the butt end more like a Fiat 600, not so flat.

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 pm

vwracerdave wrote: The shape of the middle window looks horrible and needs to be more squared off.

I can try that and see how it looks. I was trying to keep away from flatter edges as I felt it would start looking more like the bus, but lets see what it might look like.

Thanks for the critique.

-Zodiac- Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:23 pm

one more thing to add- how is the back to open? I see a handle so i'm assuming the window pops up, and I see a line - so I'm guessing that it would fold down like a tailgate? if so the bumper is in the way of any movements. so the line would have to be shorter than the bumper/guards , so it can either lay down, or open sideways.

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Brian wrote: I agree with dave on the window.

My personal liking, I would make the butt end more like a Fiat 600, not so flat.

I thought I would loose too much room to do that. With a Type 3 flat four as the engine, I get a little more storage space. If I curve in too much, I might as well stick with a stock Beetle.

But thanks for the critique.

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:34 pm

-Zodiac- wrote: one more thing to add- how is the back to open?

The thought was that the window (same size as the front window) would have a small frame around it and would be hinged at the time. The larger flat section could either be hinged on one side, or perhaps even just lift off. I didn't have a solid option laid out.

AlbertL Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 pm

And here it is with a flatter middle window.

I'm not sure I like this one so much. I feel it looses its character.

Brian Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:24 am

needs more tilt

Jacks Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:14 am

:lol: