TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vinyl wrap removal
panic_fan Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 am

I have the chance to make some cash on a promotion with my 70 bay bus. They want to pay to vinyl wrap it and them remove, but I am not sure I am cool with it. Any suggestions from the body/paint world?
It has been resprayed before I got it. its in pretty good shape but has a few rough spots.

Stuart Maingot Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:05 am

The company I work for actually wraps commericial vehicles. The techs I spoke with advise that it depends on the type of adhesive on the vinyl. The cheaper types don't adhere for as long but when applying try to avoid excessive heat with the heat gun and use the heat gun when stripping the vinyl off to soften the adhesive and also use isopropyl alcohol as you begin to peel it away to help soften the adhesive and have the wrap removed without residual adhesive adhering to the paintwork. Hope this helps. Good luck.

panic_fan Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:01 am

Stuart Maingot wrote: The company I work for actually wraps commericial vehicles. The techs I spoke with advise that it depends on the type of adhesive on the vinyl. The cheaper types don't adhere for as long but when applying try to avoid excessive heat with the heat gun and use the heat gun when stripping the vinyl off to soften the adhesive and also use isopropyl alcohol as you begin to peel it away to help soften the adhesive and have the wrap removed without residual adhesive adhering to the paintwork. Hope this helps. Good luck.

They are having the same people do the install and removal, I am supposed to meet with owner today to discuss.

raygreenwood Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:13 am

Stuart Maingot wrote: The company I work for actually wraps commericial vehicles. The techs I spoke with advise that it depends on the type of adhesive on the vinyl. The cheaper types don't adhere for as long but when applying try to avoid excessive heat with the heat gun and use the heat gun when stripping the vinyl off to soften the adhesive and also use isopropyl alcohol as you begin to peel it away to help soften the adhesive and have the wrap removed without residual adhesive adhering to the paintwork. Hope this helps. Good luck.

This is a spot on reply. I work within this industry as well.
There are also some good low key vinyl remover chemicals used within the industry.

The cheaper vinyls as mentioned....do not adhere as well....take more work and heat to adhere properly.....and are likely to put the paint at the most risk for scratches from bubble popping needles, rivet brushes and carelessly used trimming knives.

But...almost all wrap vinyls, while being worlds apart better, than they were 10 years ago.....will have difficulties on removal if left on for too long.

If you have really nice high gloss paint.....the vinyl will remove easier....but I would not allow wrapping on a classic vehicle that I had high dollar, really nice paint on. The risk forcacrtachjng even with the most skilled installers.....is always there.

If you have older faded but complete paint....the vinyl will be much harder to remove.....socbe careful on the timeline of how long it is installed.
Ray

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:11 pm

here is my take on it....

I agree with everything posted, but, it's a vw. you know whoever resprayed it used the cheapest shit possible.

I would be willing to bet that paint will come off in sheets when they remove the wrap

eyetzr Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Make sure that the install/removal guys know that you want your vehicle back like it was before the wrap & they will be responsible for repairs.

panic_fan Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks for all that replied.
The deal is done. Wrapped for 2 weeks and removed. THey used high quality 3M vinyl with tiny groves designed in the sticky part for easy removal.

It peeled right off.....And my resprayed paint was fine.