TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heater tubes
miketr22 Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Anyone know how to remove and install the heater tubes under the rear seat of a type 1? They are the tubes that are pressed in the rear crossmember at an angle.

57BLITZ Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:03 pm

On early cars, they are spot-welded.
The later Bugs had tubes that are plastic . . . they are held in with two bolts.

miketr22 Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Not those, the tubes that I'm talking about are the ones that pass through the rear cross member.

bugmandave Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 pm

they are crimped in place. no way to remove them without destroying them or the area around them. why are you removing them?

miketr22 Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 pm

The car I'm working on had them removed. I have a pair of tubes from a donner car. If I could get them to shrink a little and get them in the holes I'm pretty sure I could use a pipe expander tool to reset them. Any ideas of how to shrink them enough to get them in the holes?

bugmandave Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:34 pm

make the holes bigger.

Hokie87 Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:47 pm

miketr22 wrote: Anyone know how to remove and install the heater tubes under the rear seat of a type 1? They are the tubes that are pressed in the rear crossmember at an angle.

I had the same question but my search didn't find an answer. So I made it up as I went. The through 67 cross members from WW have the correct curved front edge but the incorrect (for 65-67) round hole.

I cut donor ducts out and modified the hole in the new WW cross member to fit the oval ducts with a saw and die grinder.

The pressing with initial installation of the donor ducts left two ridges. I left these on and just tack welded them in place with both ridges on the back of the cross member. After a coating of seam sealer it won't be noticeable.