TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Hatch Squareback Safari Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
VWLooseNuts Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:51 pm

just thought I would show some of my work and pics.

https://www.facebook.com/VWLoosenuts

VWLooseNuts Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Mike Fisher Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:31 am

Very innovative work from the PNW. 8)

aiglesia Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:40 am

if i still had my square i would def. get one of these from you!

vwsplitvan Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 am

Nice work.

How well do they seal?

Have you got as far as testing for water leaks?

VWLooseNuts Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:11 am

Thank Mike. :)

I have not tested it for water leaks

Mike Fisher Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 am

We will be seeing surf boards & 2X4 etc hanging out of squares soon. :!:

raygreenwood Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 am

Very nice handiwork.....and this is not, being negative at all.....but please check the effect on this part when open at highway speed. There is, usually a, huge bubble of turbulence just behknd the rear hatch kn squarebacks. You may get some buffeting that could be dangerous......but it looks, cool and you do really, nice work. Ray

W1K1 Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 am

what ray said, plus the exhaust gets pulled in when you have the back lid even cracked open. so pop outs would need to be open on the sides so you don't gas yourself.

Bobnotch Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:44 pm

vwsplitvan wrote: Nice work.

How well do they seal?

Have you got as far as testing for water leaks?

Those were my 2 questions as well.
How does the glass fit into the frame? Is the frame 2 piece?

Tram Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:15 pm

W1K1 wrote: what ray said, plus the exhaust gets pulled in when you have the back lid even cracked open. so pop outs would need to be open on the sides so you don't gas yourself.

Even with other windows open, having the rear hatch open is dangerous. Vehicles like Wagoneers and Suburbans with roll down rear windows have stickers warning you NOT to drive with the rear window open!

VWLooseNuts Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:40 pm

I would recommend the front windows be open also if your driving with it open. I don't have exhaust fumes coming in the oval rear safari. No ones every mentions this to all the bus guys with there rear hatch safari :wink: :wink:

Yes it a two peice frame. They are built after the bus safari's.

Bobnotch Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 am

Tram wrote: W1K1 wrote: what ray said, plus the exhaust gets pulled in when you have the back lid even cracked open. so pop outs would need to be open on the sides so you don't gas yourself.

Even with other windows open, having the rear hatch open is dangerous. Vehicles like Wagoneers and Suburbans with roll down rear windows have stickers warning you NOT to drive with the rear window open!

My dad had an Astro van with rear pop outs with that warning sticker on both rear windows. Definitely not a good idea to drive around with it open. There's a lot of reverse air flow on the back of a Square, as evidenced by the cleaner rear window of them, versus other "wagon" models. :wink:

luckystiff Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

to bad i'm poor because i've got to many projects going at the same time or i could be your test pig......... why not add something else to the haters to hate on since it's already "ruined" since it's t1 swapped.......

nice big sliding rag and rear safari.......... quick somebody loan me a grand or so.............

vwtrey Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Great. Now I want to buy a squareback.

Nice looking work.

VWLooseNuts Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the support to those the ones that are. The Squareback safari is not the only ones I build. It's justy newest one. And is selling fast. Haters can hate all they want. The ones that don't hate buy them. And I like those people lol.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731042

grandpa pete Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 am

VWLooseNuts wrote: Thanks for the support to those the ones that are. The Squareback safari is not the only ones I build. It's justy newest one. And is selling fast. Haters can hate all they want. The ones that don't hate buy them. And I like those people lol.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731042

Nice work !
I have a question a little off topic :
Have you ever seen or heard of anyone making a screen window of any type for a beetle ?
I thought that working with windows as much as you do you're my best bet for info .
They make window screens for sleeper tractor trailers that fit in and tighten when you close the window partway . I might have to modify one of those.... Thks

Air-Cooled Head Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:20 am

luckystiff wrote:
nice big sliding rag and rear safari.......... quick somebody loan me a grand or so.............

SHHHH! :-S

t3kg Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:46 am

Nice work on these, but IMO the people who are asking questions aren't haters, they're just bringing up issues that a buyer would want to consider. Have you driven a square with an open hatch? I moved a couch once in my old square and just about gassed myself to death driving about 5 miles. Opening the side windows just pulled in more exhaust. The faster you go the worse the problem. These are going to work best opened when parked or when cruising very slowly.

Donnie strickland Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 am

t3kg wrote: Nice work on these, but IMO the people who are asking questions aren't haters, they're just bringing up issues that a buyer would want to consider. Have you driven a square with an open hatch? I moved a couch once in my old square and just about gassed myself to death driving about 5 miles. Opening the side windows just pulled in more exhaust. The faster you go the worse the problem. These are going to work best opened when parked or when cruising very slowly.

Yep. I don't see anybody doubting the quailty of the windows, which appears to be very good, but the safety issue is real.

VW put the exhaust tip on the Squareback in a very specific location, to try to get as much exhaust as possible away from the car. Driving with the hatch window open is defeating that safeguard.