TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If the Westy did not exist, what would you buy? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Merian Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:06 pm

including Weekenders, dokas, tin tops, etc. - none of that exists, so what would you choose for a small camping vehicle?

a Delica with the limited parts, repair shops?

a big ol' whale RV thing?

an AstroVan?

what?

djkeev Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Hmmmmmmm
If the Westy did not exist...... Would any other van based camping unit exist?

Motor homes...... yes, they predate the VW going back to ox drawn wagons and old Model T era trucks.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Truck camper for my Doka

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

I was gonna say my Bluestar, but then again it too is a Westfalia. I suppose a SWB low top first gen Sprinter would be my next choice.

ThankYouJerry Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Sportsman?

Element?

LT?

I'm glad this isn't a real question.

campism Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:32 pm

American conversion van or manufactured Class B (stock footprint) camper conversion like Open Road or Great West on a Dodge chassis, or the like. Probably. Sprinter build-out, maybe.

With enough imagination I could invent the Westy.

Jon_slider Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 pm

'03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 4-5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 255 70R16 AT's, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Guacho couch, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule

Fritz Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Chevy Express AWD

oldhuldy67 Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm

BLASPHEMEEEEMERS!!!! I am covering my ears..."la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la... [-X

insyncro Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Tin Top Syncro and swap in a Carat interior.

Merian Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:16 pm

no tin tops, see OP

where is Delica Doug?

vanagonjr Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Toyota T-100 or 1st gen Tundra with a 4-Wheel Camper pop-top on the back.

supersooner Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:29 pm

1986 or earlier Sprinter

IdahoDoug Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm with Fritz. Chevy Express AWD and pull out all the seats in back. Build a sweet little camper setup.

Funny you mention my little Mitsubishi, Merian. I have been out measuring because we are lending it for a month to some friends coming in from Europe. They will be staying in some swanky places, but may want to sleep in it a few times as they will be all over beautiful British Columbia.

Anyhow, I got this idea to just remove all the seats in back for them and put down an air mattress. Incredibly, it will come to within a few inches of filling the entire load floor! The factory bed is more or less a joke. So a Mitsubishi Van Wagon like I have, or a Delica are just too small unless you are traveling as a couple. I could build something cool back there though.

The Express' are cheap and super durable, and they are huge inside. I have a buddy who lifted one and built it into a camper. Room for a bowling alley...

kamzcab86 Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Merian wrote: including Weekenders, dokas, tin tops, etc. - none of that exists, so what would you choose for a small camping vehicle?

Since you're asking this question in a Vanagon/Eurovan forum, and since it wasn't specified in your list:

:wink:

photogdave Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:22 pm

I'd still be driving my Scirocco and keeping a tent in the boot.

madspaniard Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm

My AWD Toyota Sienna plus a poptop conversion and awning.

vegpedlr Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I almost went with a teardrop trailer. Functional, cool, and a great community. Also considered a Rialta, Honda Element with pop top, and a plain white panel van with my own camper setup inside. Instead I signed on for the joys of a WBX.

I love the functionality of the Vanagon Westfalia interior.

ThankYouJerry Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm

kamzcab86 wrote: Merian wrote: including Weekenders, dokas, tin tops, etc. - none of that exists, so what would you choose for a small camping vehicle?

Since you're asking this question in a Vanagon/Eurovan forum, and since it wasn't specified in your list:

:wink:

Yes, this!!!

Or...

Ferrari 330 GTC plus a tent, sleeping bag, and a Coleman stove :D !!!!!

danfromsyr Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:08 pm

the little import vans are just too dinky for me & family (2adults + large dog).. clausterphobic in the rain/inclimate weather that occasionally happens.
Sprinter cargo van converted w/ poptop

or AWD astro/Safari van ala weekender interior..

chevy express AWD with full kitchen.

or nearly anything sportsmobile
https://www.google.com/search?q=sportsmobile+pop+t...CAcQ_AUoAg