TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AAZ Swap, its alive! Need Air Filter yet, any suggestions? Page: 1, 2  Next
lannondiesel Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:44 pm

I got my Westie AAZ and DK swap running yesterday \, final pieces to figure out are throttle linkage, cold start cable and an air filter set-up and exhaust.
Anybody have any suggestions? I spent the last few hours searching the forums and found a TON of swap info but nothing clear cut on the exhaust or intake set ups. I am sure it is out there but really having nothing after 4 hours made me start a new thread! Hopefully someone has some quick tips, pictures, and maybe part numbers? Thanks in Advance!

Here is a video of getting it running yesterday!

johnnygreenham Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:05 pm

My set up is, drivers rear D pillar for intercooler, passenger D pillar for intake. Relocated battery for the intake filter which came off a generator intake system. Exhaust is.... what ever turbo flange you have - quick 180 U - flex joint - 90 bend - Muffler - tail pipe made from chopped up 90. I had an extra kink in mine to get around my engine cradle.

lannondiesel Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Did you make that flange for the turbo? Or buy it from somewhere? There is a chunk of the original downpipe on the turbo I was planning to use but its just 2" round. Yours looks much larger!

johnnygreenham Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:25 pm

I feel like I've made nearly everything for my van but the flange for the turbo was much cheaper to buy than I could have machined it out for.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PR..._Code=GTBB

You will probably find the flange you need on that site.

I used stainless 304 (or it may have been 308 stainless), 2.5 inch pipe. Fleebay has all you will need for pipe bends etc

EDIT: what turbo do you have?

Surfcamper Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Congratulations! Its a great feeling getting it fired up the first time! Sounds good. Not sure how much different a ALH is from a AZZ, but here's what I did. I ran a shorty exhaust set-up. I ran factory (TDI) size piping to a small muffler that sits up in the left rear. This made it easy not needing to worry about making it around the cross member. I also like that it is hidden from sight.

For the intake, I ran 2.5" piping to the driver side D-pillar and used a K&N cone filter. The intercooler sits on the passenger side D-pillar.

Mike

lannondiesel Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:43 pm

I believe I have a K03, the pattern looks the same ad yours

lannondiesel Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks! Yes, it certainly was a great feeling! Sounds like a jet without any exhaust, wanted sit there ask afternoon and just listen to it! Just can't wait to drive it now! For some reason your pictures aren't showing up, it may be my phone, I'll check on computer when I get home. Thanks!

Gnarlodious Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 pm

Here’s what I did:
Donaldson filter G065433 install

lannondiesel Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks! I really like this Donaldson set up!

Jeff's Old Volks Home Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:25 am

The Donaldson G065433 air filter is the perfect unit for the Vanagon diesel. Make sure you order the mounting clamp H008444 to properly anchor it.
Jeff

MarkWard Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:39 am

I had just enough room to mount my Donaldson between the battery box and the fuel filter using the Donaldson bracket. What you can't see in the picture is the flex hose that I ran over to the D pillar on the r/s.

Farfrumwork Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 am

Not a diesel setup, but I love my Donaldson as well

Gnarlodious Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 am

rsxsr wrote:
rsxsr, what is the tube coming off the vacuum elbow? I realize a “Service filter” sensor goes there but what did you use it for?

Jeff's Old Volks Home Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:08 am

Looks like the vacuum vent for the EGR and N75 valves.

MarkWard Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 am

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote: Looks like the vacuum vent for the EGR and N75 valves.

Yeppers. I was originally using a type 1 fuel filter the cheap $2 ones and sure enough my N75 got dirt in it and started to stick. I have deleted the EGR, but still have the EGR valve connected to the ECU with the adaption cranked back. Throws a code every once in a blue moon.

lannondiesel Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, nobody had a Donaldson in stock, I ordered one from Napa but there is a 4-6 week lead time. I also called 5 other places. In the meantime I made this from parts from home depot and Advance Auto Parts

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img][/img]

lannondiesel Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:14 pm

I was also able to make up some exhaust like shown above

[/img]

I was finally able to take it for a ride too! 1.6NA to 1.9TD AAZ with DK trans, wow, definitely worth the effort! Before I couldn't comfortably go over 55 and now, cruising at 70 is no problem and I even have throttle left! Wow, wow, wow! What a fun day!

Gnarlodious Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Looks good! But keep an eye on that 90º PVC, it can definitely melt if it gets too hot. Not a prob in winter, but as the weather gets warmer…

If you must use plastic pipe around the turbo/exhaust permanently, use PVCP as it has a much higher melting temperature.

Syncroincity Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Everyone ends up with basically the same thing if you're using the factory mounting scheme... :)

I used a Donaldson as well, but ended up bodging it since I'd ordered one that was for the wrong side of the van...

See my build thread in the signature below for the bloody details, as well as intake & intercooler design, cold start using a Teleflex boat control cable, ect.

Keep us posted!

svenakela Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 pm

When you finally get your Donaldson make sure that the intake will be long enough. I am pretty sure you will experience a lot of engine noise with that short intake and the cone filter. There's a sweet spot in intake length to get the diesels silent (resonance noise) and have a look at a diesel Jetta or Golf, the intake hose is pretty long stretching all the way down in the front corner.

My favorite filter solution is when the filter is placed in the pillar on the battery side. To make that possible you need to move the battery, either under the sofa or like Andrew Libby did. He made a new battery tray/lid in front of the engine lid, the battery is above the tranny.
Unfortunately Andrew's battery tray images are missing, but I found a copy on Google.
There's another version here.

When the battery is away from the engine compartment you have a lot of space for a filter box and perfect intake hose length.