TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Inner fender paint
williet57 Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:19 pm

I want to paint the inner fenders and wells on my 65 Beetle. They were painted the same color as the car and is wearing off. What type paint would I use to paint these that are rock resistant and have a hard finish. I know there are a lot of products out there,but wondering what all of you have used with good results. I am going to paint them black.Thanks

c21darrel Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:15 pm

if your painting them black...just topcoat with 3m schutz. Good stuff!
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08864-Schutz-Rubberized-C...ody+schutz

Mike Fisher Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Clear coat on paint gives good rock chip resistance. Rocks will chip the clear, but the paint will still be there.

eyetzr Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:09 pm

X2 as previous. Good prep & quality paint with a clear coat will look good & last. I did my squareback in base/clear Toronto, Ontario to California & back, 1 chip worth talking about.

modok Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Morton epoxy bedliner.

Also I like the idea of paint with heavy silica in it........which makes it very abrasion resistant, like the rustoleum bedliner. but that stuff had some problems, but hopefully they figure it out.
rock scratches paint?? no, paint scratches rock! :D

raygreenwood Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:45 am

modok wrote: Morton epoxy bedliner.

Also I like the idea of paint with heavy silica in it........which makes it very abrasion resistant, like the rustoleum bedliner. but that stuff had some problems, but hopefully they figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am in the choosing stage right before stripping.....about what epoxy to use on the underside of my 412. I know I want it epoxy.....nice, clean, tough, easy to wash down. No color necessary. Several layers....toughest I can get. I will look into Mortons. Ray

panicman Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:24 am

I used SEM chip guard. Still happy with it after a couple years. Dries semi-gloss, still shows the factory spot welds. It is holding up well, and wipes clean with a wet cloth.

scottmc Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Rustoleum bed liner in a spray can . Available at home depot. You can smack it with a hammer and it does not chip.

Keithinky Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 pm

scottmc Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I did the trunk with it also. 1.5 cans did a perfect coat. Blue exterior, black trunk covered with dark gray indoor outdoor carpet. Any spots that peek out from under the carpet don't look out of place

Bobnotch Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 am

raygreenwood wrote: modok wrote: Morton epoxy bedliner.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am in the choosing stage right before stripping.....about what epoxy to use on the underside of my 412. I know I want it epoxy.....nice, clean, tough, easy to wash down. No color necessary. Several layers....toughest I can get. I will look into Mortons. Ray

I like PPG's DP series epoxy primer. But, I also shoot color and clear over it, as it's not UV stable. With it painted, you can rinse it off (dirt and such), and keep an eye out for new rust starting.
With some undercoats, the rust will form under that layer, and then flake off reveling the rust.
I have no long term results with bed liner in the "salt belt", but I do have experience with the PPG epoxy, and that's why I go that route. :wink: