TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: input shaft seal
okin02 Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:48 pm

hello!
my name is niko and i'm from austria.
i need your help. i am working on a 1965 split bus gear box. i have a problem with the seal. the outer lip is not tight. on my original gear box there is a bigger shaft and the seal fits perfectly. can you tell me the right seal for my gear box(it is also an original split bus gear box)?
thank you :D

j.pickens Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I was always told that there was only one input shaft seal size. Worked for all early beetles and buses from 1950 to at least 1967. I've only ever used the one size. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

BarryL Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm

It looks to be a wrong seal for that.

esde Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:59 pm

I just rebuilt my first box, and spent a while looking at the seal. The sealing lip and spring are farther in than what you see on the outside, maybe 1/2" -3/4" in. The input shaft gets fatter to meet the seal, here I've measured it

about 50mm from the back of the splines to the beginning of the seal surface.
So the actual seal is behind what you're looking at in the top pic.
I've had lots of beetles where the seal looked loose like this, but they never leaked, and I never inquired as to why..
somewhere in my parts stash, I have a new seal, will find it and post a picture of the inside and you'll see what I mean.

Z Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:54 pm

It looks like your seal may not be in far enough to reach the larger sealing surface.

RPGreg2600 Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:17 pm

That outer lip is more like a dust seal. If the seal is in flush with the housing, you should be good.

okin02 Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:37 pm

hello,

thank you for the fast answers! i´m sorry about my english-hope you can understand it:-).
there is a little waistband on the seal and this waistband touches the case-the position of the seal should be correct.

i measured my two gear boxes and the problem in fact is the beginning of the fatter part of the shaft. it is deeper than on the correct seated seal of my second gear box.

the inside seal lip is on the correct place of the shaft but the outer lip is still on the smaller shaft position.

at dismantling the gear box i wondered about that there was no visible spot of the outer lip on the shaft.

so there is only one type of shaft seal and so i have to mount this one-hope that there is not too much dust that destroy my inside lip;-)

thanks a lot!!!!!
best regards from europe
niko

okin02 Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:46 pm

i found different vw numbers for the shaft seal:

113 311 113A
113 307 113
311 113 113A

i´m a little bit confused about the different numbers....

regards:-)
niko

westcoastbullies Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:56 am

doing the same job this weekend.

the leaky seal i took out sat the same way yours does in this picture, i believe the seal needs to be "pushed" further in.

there is no lip to stop the seal at that location, and there is aprox 1/4 behind that location (where the seal will become very tight).

gears Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 pm

RPGreg2600 wrote: That outer lip is more like a dust seal. If the seal is in flush with the housing, you should be good.

x2 That outer lip doesn't need to ride on anything.

KombiMadness Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:11 pm

j.pickens wrote: I was always told that there was only one input shaft seal size. Worked for all early beetles and buses from 1950 to at least 1967. I've only ever used the one size. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Yes, one seal fits all......

vwpackrat Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm

it seals on the inner lip with the spring around it not what you are seeing in the pic on the outside.