TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil Relief Seat Issue
gorbur Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:44 pm

I have a new AutoLinea aluminum that will be used for a relatively mild 1776. The case measures up within factory specs and checks out in all respects but one. In the process of getting the case tapped for full flow an over zealous machinist ground the oil relief seat area. The bore is fine, the seat depth unchanged and the plunger moves as it should. At the other end of the case the oil control is just fine.
Initially i thought i would plug off the relief drain to the case, eliminate and bypass the factory cooler then put an external cooler with bypass after the oil filter. That im sure would cause me more problems (and expense) than where im at now.
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue or have any insight as to whether or not it will work somewhat normal?
BTW it will be with a 26mm pump.

[/i]

bugguy076 Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Unless I am not seeing something, there is still enough flat sealing surface to work fine. I would use it as it was intended with all of the parts.

Marv [UK] Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:36 pm

This is the thread you need to read.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280293&highlight=oil+relief+pressure

Page 1, first post by Jimmy111. There is a drawing relating directly to your problem. Read it and inwardly digest :)

gorbur Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks Marv,
Yes did read that post that's what got me thinking about the seating area. But I'm leaning towards what bugguy076 says. I put a little bluing on it and it does seat well, just the area is different from factory. I might be over thinking/worrying about it.

Marv [UK] Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:05 pm

gorbur wrote: Thanks Marv,
Yes did read that post that's what got me thinking about the seating area. But I'm leaning towards what bugguy076 says. I put a little bluing on it and it does seat well, just the area is different from factory. I might be over thinking/worrying about it.

Opening pressure is really important. Don't want all your cold gloopy oil at big pressure blowing up your cooler like a balloon do you especially if the same was done to the pressure bypass

[email protected] Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:19 pm

That fault is going to open the valve earlier than if it was undamaged.

modok Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Looks better than OE.

The OE cases were stepped, and usually not concentric nor square.

gorbur Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks everyone,
As John mentions it probably will open a bit too easy and start bypassing the cooler. If so i can try a bit more spring tension.
I'm going to press on as is, doesn't seem like there's too much down side to it.

mark tucker Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 am

ok Im stupid,WTF was he doing there any way???? no need to mess with or get neer those. I thought the aluminum cases came with a screwin plug for FF. mine did.

mark tucker Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 am

I personaly dont see any change in the bypass/relief time or pressure.I like too keep the oe soft spring in my stuff so the oil bypasses and warms faster,when it's hot it's thin and does as it should do.

Quokka42 Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:48 am

While it will open at a slightly lower pressure, once open the pressure is acting on the entire surface of the piston, so it will close at the same point. So don't sweat it, just run it and enjoy.

nsracing Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:20 am

Sometimes people get this 'feeling of empowerment' when they have a grinder in their hand. They get into everything. :lol:

raul arrese Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:34 am

nsracing wrote: Sometimes people get this 'feeling of empowerment' when they have a grinder in their hand. They get into everything. :lol:

I think this is exactly what your saying for sure .

mark tucker Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:44 pm

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr oops.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr crap. total the ticket!!