TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brosol fuel pump shaft retrofit
catahoula lou Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Group:

Just retrofitted my Brosol fuel pump shaft with a donor from a Piersburg pump.

Situation:

My Ghia, equipped with a 1600 DP/EMPI 38 EGAS carb/~2-year old Brosol fuel pump died in the middle of an intersection. Luckily, only 2 blocks from my shop, so pushed her to it. I had recently installed an old EMPI glass fuel filter, but forgot to tighten up the internal washer that seals the filter element to the body for proper filtering. Owned one ~25 years ago, but forgot this detail.

So, assuming some crap clogged one or more of the carb jets, I disassembled/cleaned/rebuilt carb, "fixed" the EMPI fuel filter, blew out the fuel lines, and tried to start the engine. No fuel got to even the fuel filter.

Eventually noticed the pump rocker shaft had backed out of the fuel pump toward the fan housing. Assuming that the internals of the pump were still good, pushed shaft back into place and crimped the pot-metal collars around shaft on both ends with a vise grip, but still felt might come out again - this time in a remote place.

The fix:

First off, would've been nice for Brosol to spend a nominal amount of money and installed a shaft with circlips on both ends like the OG pumps. Have 2 old Piersburg pumps, neither of which I could install without removing EMPI plenum, end castings, etc.

So, I donated a Piersburg shaft to the Brosol. Luckily, Brosol uses the same diameter shaft, BUT it's shorter than the Piersburg shaft, meaning that the shaft collars initially prevented installation of the circlips. I used a file to shorten each collar the same amount, installed the circlips.

Pump internals work fine (strong fuel supply to carb) and hopefully the circlips will prevent the shaft from slipping out. Never had this problem with circlip-equipped shafts on the OG pumps.

BTW, the main carb gasket ripped in half (was very careful), meaning I had to buy a $38 rebuild kit, all because Brosol went cheap on the shaft (thanks, Brosol!). Also, it appeared that the gasket was "glued" into place when manufactured (thanks, EMPI!), as I had to use a razor blade to remove the remaining pieces (never had this problem when rebuilding OG carbs).

Hope this helps others on a tight budget like me...

Best,

Thom

bugguy076 Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:14 am

I think your repair will hold up fine.
I make most of my own gaskets. I bought a couple of small doctors sizzers at the flea market. Made some punches from various size tubes. Also use an Exacto knife. The materal I use is mostly cardboard from cereal boxes. I have made thicker gaskets by laminating double sided tape between two or more pieces of cardboard. You might be able to save a dollar or two next time.
I know I sound cheap. Try finding gaskets for antique engines.

catahoula lou Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah, I used to cut my own gaskets back in the day. Will buy some gasket material and cut my own next time instead of buying another expensive kit.

I know what you mean about older gaskets. My FIL had a 1932(?) Chrysler Imperial, in which any part was hard to find and very expensive. Liked the engine due to it's simplicity, like the older air-cooleds.

Best,

Thom