TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Early Oil Bath on Larger Displacement Engine
LivinInnaVWBus Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Thoughts on when one of these would become too restrictive to use?

Eaallred Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Hard to say, but they actually do flow with minimal restriction, so it could handle a decent amount i'd bet

Brian Anthony Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 pm

You could use two of them.

SoCalJes Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Brian Anthony wrote: You could use two of them.

Hey Brian, what is the dist cap? Nice setup.

LivinInnaVWBus Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Brian Anthony wrote: You could use two of them.

My thoughts exactly.

Brian Anthony Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

It's a Bosch part. I think they were used on Fiats. It allowed me to lower the A/C compressor.

raygreenwood Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Eaallred wrote: Hard to say, but they actually do flow with minimal restriction, so it could handle a decent amount i'd bet

Actually no they dont. Compared to pleated filters of the same enclosure area they are fairly, restrictive. They filter better but are restrictive due primarily because to operate properly a good oil bath has at least one 180° direction, change.

I found some sizing info on a, site years ago for a manufacturer of oil bath air cleaners and the enclosures were quite large for comparable engine sizes. Ill see if i can dig it out. It may shed some light.
Bht i have thought of using two as well. But dont oversize them too much. If velocity at the 180 turn drops, too low you lose your main karge particle filter.Ray

Brian Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Too restrictive, basic physics. A cyclonic filter would be better.

Also a flat clap would be cooler.

gt1953 Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 pm

I think I saw that engine last year at the Texas classic. Nice looking motor for sure.
My engine builder advised me also there is some restrictions. However if I drove in a dirt riddled climate they would ideal.

raygreenwood Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Brian wrote: Too restrictive, basic physics. A cyclonic filter would be better.

Also a flat clap would be cooler.

You know.....thats true....and oddly, the oil bath filter works "partially" with some of the same concepts as cyclonic filters.

The object for larger heavier particles in an oil bath filter is that radical turn around the end of the bottom plate. Some come from the sides/rim make that turn and then go up the center Pipe. Going up the center makes a radical quick 90°. Some go totally opposite.

Either way that high speed turn is too fast for heavy particles. They drop out into the "pool" at the bottom. This is why if you go too long in cleaning them they are full of large grit and sand.
Also zipping along that bottom plate over the pool of oil and its wicked vibration/splash pattern takes out even more grit....adds oil into the air. The final fine particles filtering and most of the oil removal gets done by zipping through the zilliions or spaces in the coir filter above. Lots of high speed, micro direction changes and small sticky particles latch onto the oily coir element.

Truly awesome filters.

I would simply find a larger filter than the one in the picture. Maybe one from a 411/412..but it mounts differently. Its a side feeder. Ray

jl_1303 Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:46 am

Brian Anthony wrote: It's a Bosch part. I think they were used on Fiats. It allowed me to lower the A/C compressor.

Do you know if Mallory have something similar?

SoCalJes Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:37 am

jl_1303 wrote: Brian Anthony wrote: It's a Bosch part. I think they were used on Fiats. It allowed me to lower the A/C compressor.

Do you know if Mallory have something similar?

I've searched for the exact same thing for a Mallory and have not found anything yet...

Alstrup Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:55 pm

The ones on Brianīs engine supports 35 to 40 hp per filter. And they have a tendency to kill performance above 4000 rpm.

T

Motor7710 Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm currently messing with this idea on this 2234cc.
There are problems with air restrictions in two locations. The first one
is the intake smout and its most restrictive, at least I think! So what I did was
to cut the smout about 2" This opened up the smout significantly and allowed me
to rev up to about 5200rpm before falling flat.

Next I drilled these holes at the very edge of the filter and repeating the process on the other side
but after words I used an antena with a very strong magnet to fish out all the metal shavings. This pumped up my revs to about 5700-5800rpms
I'm thinking that maybe another 3 or 4 holes per side will get me to about
6000pms like my cheep air filter.

The only problem I see is that because the engine is suking so much air
its causing oil to get sucked into the carb and then wiking out through
the bottom of the filter mount and making an oily mess. This only happens
if I go wot for long periods though
[/img]