TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A New Shark Nose in the Sea of Samba Page: 1, 2  Next
CLEMENTINE71 Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hello Samba! Just wanted to officially introduce myself and my families 71 Square. I've been using the samba for a while now for little projects here and there and I thought it was time to say hi.

In my earlier Southern California days I owned a 73 Super Beetle, that I had regrettably sold. I always wanted a SquareBack, so when the first chance came around to get one, I jumped on it.

We found the Square on Craigslist in early 2014. 1971 - Stock all around, condition was mint. Runs great.

Things I've done so far;

replaced floor pans (Gerson's)
rebuilt transmission
fuel lines
brake lines
mostly new interior
and a bunch of other small stuff

Things I need to do;

driver side heater channel
exterior body issues
eventually rebuild engine

Things I'm kicking around and on the fence about

fi to carb conversion
lowering and converting to type1 beam 2inch narrowed-sitting at rim height
repainting

For now I'm restoring in stages, as I only have garage access during the winter months for the big jobs.

It's been a blast so far, and I look forward to being part of the Samba! Thanks for having us 8)

Air_Cooled_Nut Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:49 am

CLEMENTINE71 wrote:

Wow, that's exactly what my parents originally bought (but '72). Beautiful.

Dang, I'd keep it stock. Makes me wish I never threw away the perfect luggage rack and bumpers back in the late '80s...

CLEMENTINE71 Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks man,

That's awesome! Your parents had good taste!

...agreed, stock is timeless. I would like to get her low though. Something like this would be tasty...

http://www.volksworld.com/uncategorized/1971-volkswagen-type-3-fastback-best-of-2013-11704

Bobnotch Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 am

CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Thanks man,

...agreed, stock is timeless. I would like to get her low though. Something like this would be tasty...

http://www.volksworld.com/uncategorized/1971-volkswagen-type-3-fastback-best-of-2013-11704

I have to agree with Toby, the car looks fantastic like it is. 8)
And when going low, keep in mind Clatter's line in my signature. :wink: I only say that, as most states have roads that aren't perfect for driving a lowered car. :roll:

Mike Fisher Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 am

Clementine Orange is my favorite Type 3 color! Lower the front 1 inner spline, give it a little forward rake & see how you like that. If you go down 2 splines you'll have to change tires too?

CLEMENTINE71 Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Bobnotch wrote: CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Thanks man,

I have to agree with Toby, the car looks fantastic like it is. 8)
And when going low, keep in mind Clatter's line in my signature. :wink: I only say that, as most states have roads that aren't perfect for driving a lowered car. :roll:

I like Clatter's line, very vw swami :wink:

and yes you're right, approaching everything at a 45 degree angle get's ridiculous. Aesthetically; its all subjective, Practical; probably not :)

CLEMENTINE71 Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Clementine Orange is my favorite Type 3 color! Lower the front 1 inner spline, give it a little forward rake & see how you like that. If you go down 2 splines you'll have to change tires too?

That's good advice. I've seen a few cars at 2 splines up front, and one out back, and they sit very nice.

The orange screams 70's, it's great. She matches our vinyl and cassette tape collection perfectly :lol:

blues90 Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Was this car from Calif originally? I ask because if it is why would the floor pans need to be replaced.

CLEMENTINE71 Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:04 pm

blues90 wrote: Was this car from Calif originally? I ask because if it is why would the floor pans need to be replaced.

No, not a Ca original. New York I believe. Spent some time in MA before arriving in CA.

Bobnotch Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:42 am

CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: Clementine Orange is my favorite Type 3 color! Lower the front 1 inner spline, give it a little forward rake & see how you like that. If you go down 2 splines you'll have to change tires too?

That's good advice. I've seen a few cars at 2 splines up front, and one out back, and they sit very nice.

The orange screams 70's, it's great. She matches our vinyl and cassette tape collection perfectly :lol:

I like the 2 spline drop up front, but running stock sized 165-80-15's rub when dropped that much. :roll: I think you should be able to go 1 spline, and be fine with the stock sized tires. Keep in mind that any lowering WILL require an alignment.

CLEMENTINE71 Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 am

Bobnotch wrote: CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: Clementine Orange is my favorite Type 3 color! Lower the front 1 inner spline, give it a little forward rake & see how you like that. If you go down 2 splines you'll have to change tires too?

I like the 2 spline drop up front, but running stock sized 165-80-15's rub when dropped that much. :roll: I think you should be able to go 1 spline, and be fine with the stock sized tires. Keep in mind that any lowering WILL require an alignment.

The more I sit and stare at the car in the driveway, the more I wan't to lower. The more I drive the car, the more I wan't to leave it at stock.

And thanks Bob for making me confront my lowering ideas. I made a short video of a cruise we did a few days ago. What I'm forgetting is what the car sits at when driven with passengers. Say, 200-300lbs already gives the car a nice drop. She looks great when on the road.

The longer I look at the vw world, the more I realise there's two crowds out there. The hot vw crowd and The old school crowd. In the surfing world, there's the short boarders and the long boarders. I'm more of a longboarder.

https://vimeo.com/user38793069/aspringtimecruise

Tram Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 am

CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Bobnotch wrote: CLEMENTINE71 wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: Clementine Orange is my favorite Type 3 color! Lower the front 1 inner spline, give it a little forward rake & see how you like that. If you go down 2 splines you'll have to change tires too?

The more I sit and stare at the car in the driveway, the more I wan't to lower. The more I drive the car, the more I wan't to leave it at stock.

And thanks Bob for making me confront my lowering ideas. I made a short video of a cruise we did a few days ago. What I'm forgetting is what the car sits at when driven with passengers. Say, 200-300lbs already gives the car a nice drop. She looks great when on the road.

The longer I look at the vw world, the more I realise there's two crowds out there. The hot vw crowd and The old school crowd. In the surfing world, there's the short boarders and the long boarders. I'm more of a longboarder.

https://vimeo.com/user38793069/aspringtimecruise

So there is your answer- do you want to look at it- or drive it?

There are tons of lowered cars out there, and not so many bone stock ones. Guess which ones command the premium prices at sale time? There's a reason.

CLEMENTINE71 Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:35 am

https://vimeo.com/user38793069/aspringtimecruise[/quote]

So there is your answer- do you want to look at it- or drive it?

There are tons of lowered cars out there, and not so many bone stock ones. Guess which ones command the premium prices at sale time? There's a reason.[/quote]

Thanks Tram. I think someone needs to put that in a signature.
Not to concerned with resale prices on this one, as I'm not going to sell, but thats a good point.

First thing we did when we got the car was take out the stereo, fancy auto-zone gauges, and racer x steering wheel. Ive seen so many people out there rushing to lower, put a stereo in, and repaint, totally getting the cars priorities backwards.

A repaint will be inevitable, as I do have some body work to do, but it can wait.

Air_Cooled_Nut Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm

CLEMENTINE71 wrote: ...The longer I look at the vw world, the more I realise there's two crowds out there. The hot vw crowd and The old school crowd. In the surfing world, there's the short boarders and the long boarders...
We call 'em Darksiders and Lightsiders (respectively). Based on Star Wars cuz that's how us old folks shuffle :D

How about dropping it a single notch fore and aft? Subtlety :wink:

68vwfasty Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I like the video! Looks like your enjoying the car.

Isn't that what it's all about.

I thought about lowering mine. But it handles so nice. Think I will just drive it for awhile.

CLEMENTINE71 Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote: CLEMENTINE71 wrote: ...The longer I look at the vw world, the more I realise there's two crowds out there. The hot vw crowd and The old school crowd. In the surfing world, there's the short boarders and the long boarders...
We call 'em Darksiders and Lightsiders (respectively). Based on Star Wars cuz that's how us old folks shuffle :D

How about dropping it a single notch fore and aft? Subtlety :wink:

a fine-drawn distinction; refinement of reasoning:the subtleties of logic.

...well said :)

Reminds me when I wen't to Bugorama last year. Some guy had an early Type1 dropped with every accessory ever made attached to it. Another guy said to him, "nice bug" The owner said, "oh, thanks." The guy then said "...has alot of accessories." The owner said, "...yea." The other guy said, "I think you could find room for a few more, huh?"

CLEMENTINE71 Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 pm

68vwfasty wrote: I like the video! Looks like your enjoying the car.

Isn't that what it's all about.

I thought about lowering mine. But it handles so nice. Think I will just drive it for awhile.

Thanks man. The wife does the driving in the vid, I do the filming 8)

dad23boys Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:34 am

I converted my 72 fastback to carb back in the 80s. I changed it back to FI here in the last few years when we done a restoration on it. Me personally I like the FI better. But to each their own. My family has all ways call my fastback Clementine every since my parents bought it new in 72. When we done the restoration I wanted it back to the original color. When we looked up the color code it turned out it is brilliant orange not clementine orange. The salesman told them the wrong thing. I think 71 was the last year for clementine orange so you may have one of the last ones of that color. Nice Square by the way.

CLEMENTINE71 Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:32 pm

so good news. There will be no lowering of the square, for a bunch of reasons...

-its a family cruiser, my wife enjoys driving it. Lowering it would make it not so driver friendly.

-its a type 3 and IS the best vw ride designed, its a sin to change it

-lowering is a trend, all the kids are doing it

-i imagined a world 100 years from now with nothing but irreversable lowered type 3's

-i'm not excited about scrapping new pans, subframes, spring plates, front ends..etc

-the bucks could be used elsewhere

-stock is timeless (as far as 1971 is concerned)

so there it is. i think the logic is flawless :) . any amount of lowering will be with stock adjustments 1-2 clicks at most. But just to be a meddling kid, ill say, "that 71fast back still sits nice" :wink:

CLEMENTINE71 Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:46 pm

dad23boys wrote: I converted my 72 fastback to carb back in the 80s. I changed it back to FI here in the last few years when we done a restoration on it. Me personally I like the FI better. But to each their own. My family has all ways call my fastback Clementine every since my parents bought it new in 72. When we done the restoration I wanted it back to the original color. When we looked up the color code it turned out it is brilliant orange not clementine orange. The salesman told them the wrong thing. I think 71 was the last year for clementine orange so you may have one of the last ones of that color. Nice Square by the way.

thanks!

the fi is great. Just a matter of sourcing the parts is what i'm running into. i'm thinking longterm upkeep. i'm looking into the cbp packs, and recently the single carb kit. Anyone have experience/preferences with these?

she stays orange for sure, just not thee og layer. my family called her that too (clementine), i don't even know the real color code name myself, just went with it.

Its rare to have a vintage car from the lot in the family all these years, thats great. I'm planning on doing the same with this one.