TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Going to convert my 70 to carbs...
ChaseEverett Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:10 am

Been reading about the conversion, I know that I should buy the CB performance kit if I go with 34 icts, which is my plan

my only question is what other parts specifically do I need, new fuel pump, remove whats left of my fuel injection, anything else?

Multi69s Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:08 am

You didn't mention it, so just in case: fuel pump stand, and push rod. Make sure you get the correct pushrod for the style of fuel pump you get. If possible, try and get a fuel pump that has cir-clips on the rocker pin. Also, make sure that you seal the FI fuel return line well.

ChaseEverett Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:12 am

Multi69s wrote: You didn't mention it, so just in case: fuel pump stand, and push rod. Make sure you get the correct pushrod for the style of fuel pump you get. If possible, try and get a fuel pump that has cir-clips on the rocker pin. Also, make sure that you seal the FI fuel return line well.

and that pump goes where my AAR valve is right?

W1K1 Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:31 pm

I would run an electric pump unless you can rebuild an early one. The repop pumps are junk.

ChaseEverett Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 pm

W1K1 wrote: I would run an electric pump unless you can rebuild an early one. The repop pumps are junk.

do you have a suggestion on which pump to buy?

W1K1 Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:23 pm

the CB performance pump
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3193

also available at any FLAPS as a Carter rotary pump, just make sure you get the low pressure unit

Bret2094 Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:27 pm

oriellys carries a pump that is a rebuild able one very similar to the original style. It comes somewhere from Canada.

Bret

Bobnotch Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:55 pm

W1K1 wrote: I would run an electric pump unless you can rebuild an early one. The repop pumps are junk.

Agreed. I've been using the Mr Gasket brand low pressure pump for the last 5 years without any issues. You can get them at any Autozone or O'Rielly's for around 50 bucks, I use the 042S pump myself.

Multi69s Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with running an electric fuel pump "IF" it is wired correctly for an accident situation. However, if you do not know how to do this, a pump like this should work fine for you.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=113%2D127%2D025b

Slow 1200 Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:18 am

watch out with the rebuild kits for early pumps...some of them have springs that are too strong (BTDT)

ChaseEverett Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:30 am

Can I use the stock fi distributor or will I have to get a different one?

Sqrbckguy38 Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:26 pm

You can use the efi one, but try and fond one that isn't for efi, that way if you happen to sell the efi parts it's complete. Not too difficult to track down a vacuum advance non efi dizzy.

Bobnotch Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:17 pm

ChaseEverett wrote: Can I use the stock fi distributor or will I have to get a different one?

Yup, that's what I've got on the spare engine in the shop. :D I'm using it with Weber carbs too. 8)

ChaseEverett Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 am

Alright I found a used set of stock solexes locally off a 68 square. Think I'm gunna pounce on them after my check clears today

Bobnotch Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:28 am

Multi69s wrote: There is nothing wrong with running an electric fuel pump "IF" it is wired correctly for an accident situation.

Yeah, but that's an easy fix. You can get an "impact switch" out of most ford cars out of the junkyard (ususally found in the left side of the trunk), or from the dealer for about 10 bucks. If you get it from the junkyard, get some of the wiring too, that way you'll have the plug for it.
Summit racing also offers an "impact switch" as well. :wink:

Chase, the low pressure Mr.Gasket pump works with Solex carbs too, as that's what I'm running on my Notch. :D

Multi69s Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:56 am

Really check those Solexes over good, especially the wear in the throttle shaft area. If the shafts aren't tight, you will never get it to idle right.

ChaseEverett Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Right on Bob and multi69s. That info really helps a lot.