TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spring Plate and Axle Tube - Aligning Marks
panpan388 Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:11 pm

I did not pay attention to existing marks on the axle tubes and the spring plates before removing the entire transaxle. After reinstalling the transaxle, I noticed that there were "chiseled" alignment marks on the spring plate and the axle housing bracket. The passenger side is right on the mark, but the driver side is off about 1/4". I have no idea if this was aligned prior to me removing it or not. Is it possible to get it out of alignment if I just removed the transaxle? The transaxle might not have even been the one that was used to make the original marks. Does anybody have any suggestions on if I need to look into this? I am trying to get a pic listed, but I think the gallery is having an issue.

61SNRF Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm

-Old marks might have been put there 40+ years ago. Who knows who, when, and if accurate to start with.
-From what I've seen on modern laser alignment machines, graphically you can see big changes when you move or twist the axles in the mounting holes even a little.

Pictures or not, from what you describe, I'd recommend you just start from scratch and do, or have done, a four-wheel alignment that includes a basic rear camber/toe check/adjust as the next step.

drscope Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Forget about any old marks that are there, you need to check alignment.

I would also forget about taking the car to a shop to have it aligned unless you know for SURE they know what they are doing when working on swing axle cars. Most shops these days have no idea and they can really screw you into thinking you have big issues.

It would be best if you simply educated yourself a little and learned how to do this with string a tape measure and a couple of jack stands. It may not sound as high tech as a modern lazer alignment rack, but if you have a basic understanding of what you are doing, you can get it spot on yourself!