TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 beetle turn signal switch replacement
sanderson Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:00 am

So I got a cheapo turn signal switch from I don't even remember where and I'm having weird things happen since I have installed a new complete wiring harness. I installed a new turn signal flasher relay from WW and I'm using the original 2 prong emergency flasher switch. Last night I pulled the flasher knob out and heard a mysterious buzz and now the flasher switch light doesn't illuminate and the flashers are not working along with my turn signals not working. Now before I did this I was already chasing some other funny things like only one side flashing and the turn signals never working. So I put in a new flasher relay, I'm wondering if it's a problem with both my turn signal switch and emergency flasher switch. So I'm thinking of replacing both, I have been unsuccessful in finding a NEW reman emergency flasher switch so I'll probably try to find another good used one but in the turn signal switch direction I have found numerous types with prices ranging from $50-$220. WWest having the German made one @ $220, but I have found that autopartsshop.com has 3 types, acdelco, SWF and standard ranging from $99 -$155. http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto+car-usa+parts...+1967.html
Does anyone have any suggestions for which type to use? Like I said I bought a cheapo $55 years ago and I'm just getting around to installing it and it doesn't have a good mechanical operation feel to it for one thing and I know it's not making a good electrical connection since I tested it.

6Kabrio7 Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:47 pm

My mechanic told me get the german one or nothing. I hear you on the price of them it's ridiculous.

sanderson Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Also I am going to replace the headlight switch, any recommendations on that? This site has one but wanted to check with you guys on the quality of new switches. http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/902/Volkswagen-Beetle-Switches-Headlight-Flasher
WWest also has one but a few dollars more.

glutamodo Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Headlight switches - seem to also have taken a dive in quality over the last 20 years. Not sure if the ones listed on that site (not a vendor I've used) are decent or not.

Those cheapo 66-67 turn switches suck - I got one over 10 years ago and threw it away (robbed the high beam switch out of it first) because it was so bad and it wasn't something I could return.

I later got a Brazil Schadek brand 66-67 switch, mostly just to see how good it was, it wasn't extremely expensive - it wasn't great but miles better than that Chinese knockoff. Those were available for a time, I think someone found a pallet of them in the back of a warehouse or something, but haven't seen them listed for a few years now.

The SWF ones are definately the best to get, I also have an NOS one of those I got at a decent price before the huge price spike a few years ago as German supply started to run out.

155 sounds like the going price now for a new SWF switch...

It was always fairly obvious what parts that JC Whitney sold that were OEM, because the prices would be so much higher than other similar parts they would sell. The 66-67 turn switch was one of them - I put together this little retrospective of the price of those things a couple of years ago and updated it last year - they say "Standard Motor Products" now but the photo is clearly an SWF unit, not that that means that their photo still matches what the sell though.