TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil Fan and Cooler, only grounded
Umibouzu Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 am

Oil Fan and Cooler is grounded, but it's not connected elsewhere for power. I've searched but unsure where people are actually connecting these to. Connect to the ignition, or an external switch that's mounted?? Just need some advice to get this bad boy spinning. Thanks in advance!!

Tested fan for op, checks good.

No t-stat.

67jason Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 am

i jumped power from my starter to my oil cooler fan.

grandpa pete Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:54 am

starter is unfused....add an inline fuse or go to keyed fused power somewhere else.....

I could help you more but of course you didn't tell us what year or type of vehicle you are working on ,

67jason Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:56 am

grandpa pete wrote: starter is unfused....add an inline fuse or go to keyed fused power somewhere else.....

I could help you more but of course you didn't tell us what year or type of vehicle you are working on ,

good point. i do have an inline fuse added.

Umibouzu Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 pm

My apologies, it's a 67 Bug with a 1915. Don't post very much, usually just find the answers to all of my questions on here. Thanks for the help either way.

rockerarm Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:37 am

Hi fellow vet. I viewed the pic in your gallery and viewed your engine compartment and this is what I would do.
I would buy one of the Berg/Save a Bug oil temp dipsticks and run a separate wire to your dash area for this and a dedicated separate lite. This method is one effective way to monitor your oil temp. I would then get a Bosch 30 or 40 amp relay for your fan and have a switch of some sort mounted near your new lite.
So, in theory, when you view your tempdipstick ground out at 212-220 degrees and illuminates your lite, then simply throw the switch on for the fan. Basically, you are performing the work of a thermostat. Not a perfect solution, but this will work. You just need to be diligent with monitoring your engine.
As far as parts go, Gary Berg and Save a Bug are vendors here on thesamba. Gene Berg Ent was the premier supplier for these but states NLA. A relay, switch, wire, and electrical connectors are available at electric supply stores. Let me know if you choose this route and want me to source this stuff. I'm in Los Angeles and have multiple sources. I'm guessing this would cost you between $50 and $100, depending on how you scrounge and you install it yourself.
Hope this helps, Bill.

surfbeetle Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:45 pm

To take it a step further, you could plumb in a switch that is preset to actuate a fan at a set temperature. Bernie Bergmann has a kit shown here

http://www.bergmannvw.net/Website-New/pages/Engines/engines_accessories-oil_cooler_kits.html

My car has a temp gauge and I had to manually turn the fan on which eventually became a pain to remember.

Banzai KG Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:53 am

rockerarm wrote:
I would buy one of the Berg/Save a Bug oil temp dipsticks and run a separate wire to your dash area for this and a dedicated separate lite.

So, in theory, when you view your tempdipstick ground out at 212-220 degrees and illuminates your lite, then simply throw the switch on for the fan. Basically, you are performing the work of a thermostat. Not a perfect solution, but this will work. You just need to be diligent with monitoring your engine.

As far as parts go, Gary Berg and Save a Bug are vendors here on thesamba. Gene Berg Ent was the premier supplier for these but states NLA. A relay, switch, wire, and electrical connectors are available at electric supply stores. Let me know if you choose this route and want me to source this stuff. I'm in Los Angeles and have multiple sources. I'm guessing this would cost you between $50 and $100, depending on how you scrounge and you install it yourself.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Aircooled.net also sells these temperature warning dipstick or threaded units - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/category-s/942.htm

I've been running the Berg shorty temperature (threaded at the Type 3 dipstick location) for many moons.

Umibouzu Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 am

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, much appreciated.

pupi305 Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:11 am

I would fuse it since starter is always 12+