TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help me judge this baja! :) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:43 pm

Big image dump really sorry for the size, etc. They want to try and sell for 4300 but it's really flexible. I have more pictures and I'm trying to see if this is a viable car or no. If not the other option is gonna be in a six hour drive and cost me 5200. The 5200 one is something I'm thinking heavily about. But this other closer one just kinda sprang up.
(
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1756802 )

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Additionally refer to the now graveyard thread of "fears I'm in over my head" for more backstory on what I'm trying to do.

KrAzY-BaJa Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:52 pm

might be worth 2500, only If brakes,engine,trans are in good working order

to name a few problems.
terrible seat
seat belts
shocks
axle boots on wrong, possibly lookes ripped?
no muffler

looks like it was thrown together with spare parts

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Bus trans. Owner does not know the miles on it.
Engine is a dual port 1776cc and apparently was built by someone here who works vw restorations here in my city. It once ran a set of individual exhaust systems for each side. But no muffler at all since this is florida. The engine had less than 400 miles on it.
The boot is torn.
The camber is terribleand done on purpose for some reason. The e brake needs fixing and the thing has trouble holding idle. It has drum brakes all around too. Which is bad.

Edit-
I'm really trying to find out if it needs serious work to become a daily driver. Or if I should move on to the one left in the link. Our if neither are worth it

Hnoroian Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 pm

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: might be worth 2500, only If brakes,engine,trans are in good working order

to name a few problems.
terrible seat
seat belts
shocks
no muffler

I'd agree, and far from a daily driver. Keep looking something else always pops up sooner or later worth the $$$$

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Hnoroian wrote: KrAzY-BaJa wrote: might be worth 2500, only If brakes,engine,trans are in good working order

to name a few problems.
terrible seat
seat belts
shocks
no muffler

I'd agree, and far from a daily driver. Keep looking something else always pops up sooner or later worth the $$$$

Like this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1756802

I'm genuinely asking. Since I'm about to drive up there like.. Monday. And it's 6 hours away. They have a 1776 single port mounted on it.

KrAzY-BaJa Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 pm

nothing really fancy on that to be worth 5 IMO (at least in my area thatll be under 4k)

Hnoroian Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 pm

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote: Hnoroian wrote: KrAzY-BaJa wrote: might be worth 2500, only If brakes,engine,trans are in good working order

to name a few problems.
terrible seat
seat belts
shocks
no muffler

Like this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1756802

I'm genuinely asking. Since I'm about to drive up there like.. Monday. And it's 6 hours away. They have a 1776 single port mounted on it.

Looks much cleaner and more put together. Everything. From the tires to the clean engine. How are you getting it back on your 6 hour drive?

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Im in Florida. I'm also a bit new to this type of purchase.

I was gonna uhaul trailer it back with a truck. or drive it home lol.

5200 does seem like a lot now don't it? I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to appraise something so subjective. Additionally almost everything is new on this. Except the casE which is on like it's second rebuild.

Hnoroian Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:41 pm

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote: Im in Jacksonville Florida. I'm also a bit new to this type of purchase.

5200 does seem like a lot now don't it? I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to appraise something so subjective. Additionally almost everything is new on this. Except the casE which is on like it's second rebuild.

Way to jump into it, it is probably worth it if everything is true and correct in the add. Search "buying vw beetles" and find where the hidden rust is and what to watch out for. You will learn a lot over time.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Hnoroian wrote: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote: Im in Florida. I'm also a bit new to this type of purchase.

Way to jump into it, it is probably worth it if everything is true and correct in the add. Search "buying vw beetles" and find where the hidden rust is and what to watch out for. You will learn a lot over time.

Well it needs to be daily driver capable for a while. Probably a long while but I'm trying to get into something I can work on

Hnoroian Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 pm

I thought I remember you having the itch for a baja before... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619229&highlight=

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Hnoroian wrote: I thought I remember you having the itch for a baja before... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619229&highlight=

Yep. This is the partial fruits of that post. I've been actively searching for one in my area since that thread died down,doing my research and such. I came back with pictures of this one for judgement and aid.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 am

KrAzY-BaJa wrote: nothing really fancy on that to be worth 5 IMO (at least in my area thatll be under 4k)

I hate to ask and seem a bit dim here. But what would be the cost of getting one from Cali and having it shipped cross country? After all. I've been ignoring all the cali ones on this site since I thought I'd be impossible to get them here under cost.

Arkansauced Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:12 pm

I paid 750 to ship from Long Beach to Northwest Arkansas, my guess is you're looking at $1200+ to FL. I used uship.com

oldschool5er Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Bus Box? I just see a long axle swinger in the pics.. no reduction boxes. Hmmmm
Why would they tell you it was a bus box? maybe they meant just the center section came from a bus...or maybe I am just looking at the wrong pic. My eyes arent as good as they used to be lol.

If you can find any in NM or AZ that are original to that area, it would be a good chance to have better minimal rust choices and just because of that alone it would be worth paying shipping.

Bashr52 Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 am

Whats up with the hood on that one for 5200? That looks like a bunch of work to convert it to a true baja front end kit.

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:16 am

Expensive! Forget the first one. The second sounds promising but is prolly an eye sore to everyone except the owner. If body work and paint aren't a concern I'd take a look at it. I would just expect for over 5K you should be able to get something that is good to go right away. Just remember, it always looks a lot better when you first see it. Then you get it home and find out just what the PO didn't care too much about. That especially concerns me when you have to travel so far. The pressure is going to be just that much greater to make a rushed decision.

I say
Keep looking. Don't lose your patience and settle.

ORANGECRUSHer Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:23 am

Just for reference, that first one actually impresses me in the respect that it appears VERY solid. Intact. Despite being a bit dreary looking, it is dry and not rusted. It would be a great purchase for the $2-3K ball park. And even though a swingaxle would work perfectly fine for a DD baja that doesn't see a lot of heavy abuse, you said you want something you can 'work on' and I see you wishing it was an IRS sooner or later. For that price I would hope that SA has been beefed up. Engine looks new which might be affecting the price.

HERC Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 am

hate em. way too much money.

Shit, for 5k you could probably snag this oval and fully cage it and rape it. that would be badass.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1762274