TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: flat towing?
I Ride Sand Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:11 am

What is everyones opinion on flat towing an unfinished sandrail about 400 miles on the freeway? If i end up doing this, all of the wheel bearing will be repacked, cv shafts removed, and just will be using a tow bar to pull it. Is it going to munch the steering box, bend a tie rod or anything bad like that?

Dale M. Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 am

If front end is basically aligned (slight toe in) so no excessive tire wear, everything else is a non existent problem....

Should follow tow vehicle like any thing else (trailer), just remember you can not back up, flat towing and backing up are in direct conflict and will be a problem....

Also since I don't know what state you are in, so I will mention that some states (like Calif) require registration and lighting if wheels touch the roadway... If its on a trailer its just "cargo" and no rules/laws apply...

Dale

I Ride Sand Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 am

Dale M. wrote:

.. since I don't know what state you are in, so I will mention that some states (like Calif) require registration and lighting if wheels touch the roadway...
Dale

Starting in Utah, ending in Montana.

I am mainly worried about the steering box really... I had one rail I would have to adjust the box every time I towed it, right up until i shoved the screw through the top of the box. never backed up, just forward. There were some tight turns though that would slam the steering wheel against the non-existent steering bump locks though.... probably had the roller hit the end of the bevel gear in it and force it up...

mr_bill Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:50 am

you can "shim" the pitman arm....add shims between pitman arm & body of steering gear (alt/gen pulley shims work for this) keeps shaft from being forced out top of gear housing!! :!: :!: ( I have a solid spacer machined from alum. on my 11 car!!)