TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: *Gulp* shipping my bus Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
DaleNW Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey, I am hoping for some solid advice/leads. I have a fully restored (painfully over 4 years) '78 Westy. I live in Seattle and am moving to Boulder.
Unfortunately, I am not going to have the time to take a road trip to drive there.
Fortunately, my new job is paying for relocation expenses (up to a point).

Does anyone have suggestions on companies/people to use for shipping a VW bus?
Any other words of wisdom I should be considering?

I love my bus and have had it for over 16 years. That's why I took the time to do the restoration. I want to have it for the next 30 years. But, I do camp in it and drive in the rain, on gravel, etc. I am wondering if I should look at having it transported in an enclosed trailer or if it will be okay exposed. Thoughts?

(on a separate thread, Stuart is planning a going away gathering. I hope to see all my PNW VW friends.)

Thanks for all the fish. :wink:

DenverB Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:44 pm

sorry, no advice on shipping -- but welcome to CO. Plenty of buses here, you're in good company.

:)

DaleNW Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks DenverB! Looking forward to meeting and becoming part of the community!

Greg in GA Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 pm

I believe I heard skills say he uses A1, but that's just hearsay.

babysnakes Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Here is a thread for you to peruse,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170895

check it out.

DaleNW Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks Babysnakes! Geee, I can't believe I fell pray to the whole . . . "search is your friend" foible. Dangit. :oops:

I'll check it out.

lil-jinx Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Ask your moving company to put it on the truck with the rest of your furiture,

aeromech Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:24 pm

My company paid for my household move from California to North Carolina. My 1971 went inside the moving van along with the rest of my belongings

driverinmyhead Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello,

I use Montway to ship cars. I have shipped at least half a dozen over the last couple years.

They have a quote system and will do open or enclosed. However, be forewarned that they are a broker. That means that THEY find a shipper and act as a middle man. Having said that, you would never know it... as the process is seamless.

A couple of things to note:

1.) Insurance. Do not rely on the shippers insurance. Make SURE that your insurance is for "agreed value" and covers shipping. I use Hagerty on my classic cars... but not the Westy.

2.) Do what you can to protect the bus. Strap down anything loose or anything that might rattle. Put a seat cover or plastic over the driver's seat and something on the floor to keep it clean.

3.) Make sure YOU or someone you can trust PERSONALLY sees the bus off when picked up. AND, make sure YOU or someone you trust PERSONALLY picks the bus up or receives it in Boulder. Keep in mind that shipping happens on THEIR schedule.

As I say, I have personally shipped DOZENS of vehicles and at least 1/2 a dozen in the last couple years. I have NEVER (knock on wood) had a major issue. As they say: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". The more you do to secure the bus, protect the paint and interior (driver's seat), and make sure YOU inspect the bus before and after (I take a dozen photos as it's being loaded even), you reduce the risk of negligence.

aeromech Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:39 pm

I've shipped a lot of buses too. The last one was in November and went from San Diego to TN. I made a mistake and called a shady broker who offered a price $300 below the rest. The bus sat and sat and when I bitched they said no driver would accept the price. Ultimately, the bus shipped for what all the rest wanted in the first place. I think it was $1150.

my59 Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:01 pm

lil-jinx wrote: Ask your moving company to put it on the truck with the rest of your furiture,

This is what you want. It will show up with every thing else. Talk to the moving co. And check what your people are paying for. Shipping "household goods" might be different than shipping an auto. Look into insurance as typical moving ins. Covers stuff by weight. That busted baccarat glass that costs 150 might get you a few pennies in a claim. At least a westy is heavy. You might insure it as an antique household object for shipping purposes.

DaleNW Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks! Some really great information being shared. I shipped my bus from GA to WA when I moved out here - but that was before the restoration (15 years ago). It went fine. So, I am just a bit nervous about it now.
I have an "agreed value" policy on my bus as it is now - through State Farm actually. (We have all our policies through them, so the discount was substantial.)

I'll check with the movers, but the ones we've spoken to broker out the vehicle transport separately from the household items. Thus I figured that I'd look into it separately myself.

I've also sent a couple of PM's to Samba members with good reviews who transport vehicles. Hopefully they work out as I like to support those that support the community.

chabanais Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 pm

PM me.

the_benjamin_effect Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Dale,

I write this to help you out and any other Samba members that may read this in the future in regards to shipping any vehicle. DO YOUR RESEARCH! I didn’t when I attempted to ship my 1978 Deluxe Westfalia from Florida to Washington State.

Let me tell you my story:
In 2008 I wanted to ship my non-running Westfalia from FL to WA, and choose a broker with a fair price. I lived on a long dead end street, so I agreed to pull it to the end of the street in an attempt to make it easier for the driver to load it and be on his way. When he arrived with a little bit of delay and a lot of broken English the first thing he did was put his foot on the bumper of my bus to tie his shoe. Not a huge deal to me since I stand on the bumper as well to load and unload the top luggage rack, but this was my first impression… Strike one. The next thing I encountered was the loading phase. I had told the broker in multiple correspondences it was not running, so I was charged an extra fee, and thought it would require us to winch the bus onto the trailer. Not so. He then started a car (Toyota RAV4) just in front of where my bus was to be loaded, reversed out of the trailer and hooked a tow strap to the bus in an attempt to use the RAV 4 to pull the bus onto the trailer… Strike two. I was thinking what if my bus was running and he had decided to use it as a tow vehicle to load someone else’s car? I should have stopped him there, but I was desperate, as I was to be on an airplane back to Washington the next day and didn’t want to put my bus back in storage. As he towed it up the ramp the pop-top luggage rack was interfering with the tire of the car above where my bus was to be loaded. In a last chance effort I removed the luggage rack and would ship the bus with it inside the bus instead of attached on top. After the removal of the luggage rack we made another attempt, but now the bare luggage rack bracket mount was interfering with the tire of the car above. We lowered the tire pressure, with still no luck in fitting it in. He then suggested we remove the tires and put it on blocks. I said no way I am doing that. This is where I started to get a funny feeling of “if he doesn’t load my vehicle, he’s not getting paid”. The next thing he did I will never forget. He reached up to the luggage rack bracket and bent it flat, without even asking or caring. Strike three++. I then told him he is not shipping this vehicle and take it off the trailer. After some words in broken English we had “no deal”. I ended up towing the bus back down the street and back into storage where It had been for years prior. I wrote down the address on the side of the truck when I started seeing this whole situation going awry. When I googled it after I got home the address was an apartment complex, no idea why.

Bottom line… DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Manfred58sc Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Call Adam Chiszar "Intra state transportation LLC. He is out of Boulder Colorado and I have used him many times.intrastate.transportation#gmail.com 303-829-8980 Great price and service..welcome to Colorado!

d-rick Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:17 pm

If your company is footing the bill...Great.

Passport Transport
Reliable auto shippers
Inter City auto transport

timvw7476 Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Last time a broker handled a car I saw, the walk-thru seat belt buckles were mangled as though someone stuffed a cooler full of beverages between the front seats and cruised a bit.
I would put it in the moving van, pull the computer & AFM & pocket the keys.
Let's see 'em borrow it now.

driverinmyhead Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:39 pm

The way I read the OP is that he is getting a relo deal. That usually means the company pays for relocation expenses either "up front" like a taxable signing bonus, etc. Or they reimburse up to a certain $$$ amount.

Either way, its money out of the sellers pocket. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last time I used Reliable or can't remember the other one (Interstate??), the bill for enclosed transport was around $2500 BUCKS :shock:

The last several cars I shipped were picked up by someone speaking broken English (Eastern European), which is typical in the PacNW. Seattle to Miami was $1100, Seattle to L.A. was $500 and Seattle to Staten Island, NY was $900.

I have seen the "unload a random car and use a tow strap" trick several times. Not on MY cars... but a shocker none the less! Trucking, shipping and transport is a dirty business, figuratively and literally. So, some of it is just unfortunately the way it is.

I have friends that buy high end auction cars as well as transport vehicles to Pebble Beach, Amelia Island and sometimes Europe. Some of them, money is no object. Just an expense. Most all of them have caretakers and workers that handle those cars. Their attitude is that the car is priceless, irreplaceable and usually competing in a show (or on display). They also stress that the car is INSURED (because bad things do happen). And some of the guys (and ladies) loading those cars are just as bad as the tow strap guy.

My advise stands, and I will add that you can "interview" several shippers. You might try laying down some back story like "My bus is a fully restored show winner and would cost some obscene amount to replace". Then ask them about THEIR insurance (with the knowledge and security that YOUR insurance is agreed value).

If money is no object, use one of the top shippers, there really is a difference. If you want, use someone trustworthy that can ship it (an enclosed trailer heading East empty). If money is tight, use a reputable broker and go with your gut.

airschooled Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:46 pm

I think it would be cheaper for your employer to give you a week off to drive it there than it would be to ship it properly……

1,400 miles? That's a week if you see the sights. Three days if you stand on it.

Plus, then you KNOW it's being taken care of!
Robbie

Hoody Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:29 pm

I have a close friend that ships 100-200 thousand dollar cars all the time. The only reason I say this is because to you this car is priceless. Spend the cash and use a VERY reputable bonded shipper that specializes in in high dollar vehicles. Do not go with someone who is not is an expert in shipping high dollar vehicles. There are a shit load of things that can go wrong. Spend the extra few hundred and you will feel better when it arrives just as you it was when you loaded it up. I hate to sound cliche but you get what you pay for. I used you ship for my my Westy Trailer and I was a hot mess till it arrived. I had my 78 Westy shipped from CO. On a common car carrier. That have 5-10 stacked up that you see all of the time. I got lucky. It arrived perfectly safe. Taking a week off from work and driving it back to me does not sound like a cost effective plan to me. Especially if something goes wrong. Hope this helps. Good luck