TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Body filler/putty....
GreggK Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:40 pm

I saw a how-to on panel repair on Bens-Place. In one spot the new panel overlaps the old panel. A body filler was used to blend the new panel into the existing panel. The term for the filler was micro-fiber. Anyone have a favorite product for that application. Thanks GreggK

dirtkeeper Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Kitty hair is the stuff I have just started using. It's like fiberglass bondo it looks like really good stuff. Sticks well and probably more flexible than bondo .

The have a short strand and long strand . The short strand I cannot see any fibers , the long strand stuff is like long hair. Works good if you have to build up a little backing behind a small hole.

beetlenut Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:09 am

dirtkeeper wrote: Kitty hair is the stuff I have just started using. It's like fiberglass bondo it looks like really good stuff. Sticks well and probably more flexible than bondo .

The have a short strand and long strand . The short strand I cannot see any fibers , the long strand stuff is like long hair. Works good if you have to build up a little backing behind a small hole.

I don't think it's flexible at all. The fiberglass fibers keep it from cracking. I used it on a grafted in section I did, and it's like steel. Make sure you get it as smooth as you can when you apply it, it's a mother to sand down.

dirtkeeper Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:15 pm

beetlenut wrote: dirtkeeper wrote: Kitty hair is the stuff I have just started using. It's like fiberglass bondo it looks like really good stuff. Sticks well and probably more flexible than bondo .

I don't think it's flexible at all. The fiberglass fibers keep it from cracking. I used it on a grafted in section I did, and it's like steel. Make sure you get it as smooth as you can when you apply it, it's a mother to sand down.

I thought it might be less apt to crack.

How long ago did you do the graft , was it painted and has it held up?

beetlenut Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:49 am

dirtkeeper wrote: beetlenut wrote: dirtkeeper wrote: Kitty hair is the stuff I have just started using. It's like fiberglass bondo it looks like really good stuff. Sticks well and probably more flexible than bondo .

I thought it might be less apt to crack.

How long ago did you do the graft , was it painted and has it held up?

It was the rear quarter area below the rear side window. I welded then laid on some kitty hair, I think mine was some marine fiberglass repair stuff. I then put a skim coat of Rage over that, but ended sanding most of that off, but it did fill the pinholes of the kitty hair. It's been painted with a BC/CC for over a year and is pretty solid. The kitty hair is definitely meant for structural repair as they use it in the marine industry for a variety of repairs.

JasonBaker Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:05 am

I have used kitty hair and there is also some stuff with larger fiberglass piece's called tiger hair.

Do a little practice with it before you use it. When it sets up its hard as a rock.

Body Filler(Bondo) OR putty coat is required on top of the kitty hair before you prime or paint for the best results.

jpjohns Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:00 am

I like the Evercoat Rage product myself.

buguy Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Kitty hair or Duraglass is all just fiberglass reinforced filler. But its waterproof unlike traditional fillers. It is stronger and harder to work with and sand. Its something that should always be used over welds in my oppionion. It is used for the beginning stage. You will still want to use a regular "bondo" or filler over it.

And also as Jason said, it gets hard as a rock. Dont put it on heavy and plan to leave it long. Try to get it pretty close when you spread it, and get after it with some 36-80 grit when its still a bit "green" and not quite hardened to make it a little easier on yourself.