TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Full Coil Over swap on 74 Thing
Thing_Man73 Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:53 pm

I guy I know wants me to help him do a Full Coil Over swap on 74 Thing, front and rear. He tells me he has bought the kits and it should just be a bolt on replacement project. It sound like a MUCH bigger project than just removing the old suspension and bolting in the new units. Have any of you done such a swap and let me know before I get roped into a ton of Work.

Any help is appreciated.

race-desert Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:07 pm

empi chrome shocks with helper springs (coilovers as most call them, LOL)-- bolt on! :D
real coilovers on car with no cage-- roped in! :evil:

Dale M. Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Tell him you want to take a look before saying yeah or nay...

Dale

BUGGUTZ Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Snap some pics and get some educated input from these guys.

Mal evolent Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:43 pm

the thing is, they need to be robust stiff coil over shocks, not dirt bike coil over shocks. coil overs are everywhere, but the right coil over, not so much

I would not do any butchery to a Thing. there were not too many too begin with, and every one that gets butchered raises the value of the remaining stock ones and the butcher throws away the value of the Thing he butchered.

Thing_Man73 Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:48 pm

Dale M. wrote: Tell him you want to take a look before saying yeah or nay...

Dale

It is a stock Thing now and he showed me some parts like a complete front end with shocks and towers. I can imagine body interference. The rear kit has 3 x 3 inch box arms but I don't understand how you can have coil overs without any torsions without a lot more support. I am seeing Pie In The Sky ideas with me having to fabricate a lot of stuff. :?

race-desert Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:32 pm

without us seeing pics of what he has and want he wants in the end- my first thought is your specalation is spot on if not a little down played!

jack511x Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:41 pm

i have one and it was a lot of work. built a whole frame and got away from the pan. if you can do it in a weekend i will bring one over also :P you can bolt 3x3 rear arms on with out much trouble, need to make some shock mounts , but the coilovers will need some frame work to bolt to. you could get stiffer bars and not use coilovers. the front is set up for ball joint beam, most long travel beams are going to not have the same mounting. at the very least you will be changing the front of the pan to a king pin frame head or build some sort of frame work to hold it. lots of work. good luck