TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do I transport 1976 van to Europe and Sale it?
stavzas Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 am

Hello!

my partner and i are working on making a dream happen. we want to ship the 1976 van from her house in California to Europe and then sale it after 3 months of travel. and we are trying to figure out all the below details, and more :)

we are busy and in school and could use some help, can you help us?

ps; the van is currently registered in Mexico.

we need info about registration process?
and the shipping process?
and any adivse on selling it in germany or england or another country in europe?

we are trying to do a forecast of what this will cost us and how much we can sale the van for.

my email is [email protected]

thanks alot!

oorwullie Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:53 am

i assume you think you will pay for the entire trip and make a tidy profit as well.

nice dream.

despite the EU ,every country in europe has it's own import and registration legislation.

unless you can import and register it in the country of your choice BEFORE selling it , you ain't gonna get zilch from traders for what to you might think to be a nice bus............

of course if it actually is an immaculate westie or deluxe or something that's a slightly different story.

import taxes on it will be at least 20% of the value the customs officer puts on it plus the shipping costs.

post some pics please. and not just of the shiny bits.............

my apologies if i seem somewhat negative but i get the impression that you just had this idea and haven't given it any serious reality check till now.

by all means ship the bus over and pray that it gets you through the trip but be prepared to either ship it back again or getting maybe a $grand for it as a parts car if the engine still runs halfway good.

i'll be glad to show you a good free camp spot in my area.:idea:

borninabus Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:40 am

it is much cheaper to freight ship from the east coast of USA than from the west.
so what i recommend you do is drive your van/bus from west to east across the united states.
if you make it to the "other" shore then i think you should consider shipping it--via a reputable cargo freighter--to mainland europe because at that time you will have aquired the mechanical know-how and life-skills to undertake a journey of such magnitude with your friend :)

bugger101 Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:11 pm

rail is another option and can be cheaper sometimes