TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: busted jug fin
nodak_85 Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Hey guys. In the process of resealing my jugs. I busted one fin off number 4. Should I replace or not worry about it and continue on and use Hey guys. In the process of resealing my jugs. I busted one fin off number 4. Should I replace or not worry about it and continue on and use
[/img]

the2ndcashboy Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 pm

That's what, less than 1% of the total cooling fin area? It'll be fine.

Glenn Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Don't worry about it... you'll be just fine.

Boolean Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:05 pm

If you didn't know it, you wouldn't notice.
I would not use it anyway.

Dallas DuPont Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Your Good

Vanapplebomb Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Yup, one is no cause for alarm. Take a grinder to the jug and smooth out the surface of the cracked fin and it will not give you any further trouble.

mark tucker Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:39 pm

hey dude,your fine, hey dude your fine......hey dude there a gecko in hear!! I would however put the broken aera upward so it's better in the cooling air streem. and dont use a hammer to install jugs any more. Jugs take a gentle touch .

nodak_85 Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Wasn't installing. I was removing them. Needed some tapping with a rubber mallet. Just had an awkward swing.

EVfun Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:57 pm

One fin right next to the head. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

mark tucker Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:24 pm

I distroyed a set of 92's one time(they were junk any way) whooever bored the case for them didnt do it right,I dont know how they ever got them in there, it looked like a hand drill&one of those bolt on flycutting jigs was used and it was loose or grabed&cocked over when they were doing it. it was one of 3 motors that year I had seen that was...well... junk, from arizoner,somebody out there needs to ship thier stuff to cali. :shock:

modok Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:11 pm

yeah! put it on the top, good idea Mark.

They rivet themselves in over time. The case smooshes in right at the edge. Measure it and you'll see. Should fix that before re-assembling and put a small bevel on the edge.
Good reason to deck the case flat and use large faced shims. Keeps them for sinking in and getting stuck.

Quokka42 Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 am

It's happened before, it's happened to the best of us, it's happened to the worst of us.

If you were building a top-contending race engine you wouldn't be asking here, so it'll be fine.

Just bloody run them - the sky won't fall, your children won't die and your chooks won't turn into emus and kick your dunny door down.

mark tucker Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 pm

the one I had issues with didnt sink in you could see where the cutter had changed posisions during the boring job and wasent corected.I gess they beat them in with a 2x4 board&BFH.

modok Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Yep, there's some CRUDE stuff out there, and sometimes it works!
When done right no need to re-torque the heads, but in other instances may need to re-torque a few times.