TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why are buses worth so much? Page: 1, 2  Next
Bloku Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

I am just wondering why buses are worth so much! They made something like 10 million spit buses but only about 1/2 a million karmann ghias. How come the price of a karmann ghia is not as much as most buses? Vw Things (car) seem to sell for more than most karmann ghias also. Anyone have an idea? I have just always wondered. Thanks

busdaddy Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Well duh......, because they're cooler! :D

It also could have something to do with thier larger interior capacity, some people have family or friends they'd like to bring along on thier adventures.

bugger101 Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:10 pm

market demand with all these kids that want to be dead heads nowadays :roll:

hitest Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:33 pm

I think it is partly due to the seemingly endless ways one could be built/ordered. With Ghias and bugs, they had no more than about nine colors each year and a couple interiors. It is harder to imaging yourself in a unique car when you pass three dopelgangers in one trip. There is one bus out there for every two VW people. When two of you in the world want the same bus- value goes up. Buyers go nuts for a swivel seat dbl. door panel, or a sunroof kombi- even more so than the far more common 23 window. Also, the bus market is very international- with bugs and Ghias, not yet.

I believe Ghias will have their day though. Folks will someday realize it is basically a coach built car- and the market will follow. I predict big things for cars built after '59. In a few years, they'll all be scooped up- stock up now while they are so bloody cheap.

Glenn Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Because they're cheaper than renting a storage locker.

J Flare Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Barrett Jackson!

busdaddy Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:49 pm

hitest wrote: I believe Ghias will have their day though. Folks will someday realize it is basically a coach built car- and the market will follow. I predict big things for cars built after '59. In a few years, they'll all be scooped up- stock up now while they are so bloody cheap.
I can't argue with that, I do like Ghias alot, just have to find the time/money/space as well as the right car, personally I don't care if it's a "lowlight" but I do prefer the earlier models opposed to the big bumpered ones with all the reflectors and extra lights.

And yes Glenn, a rolling storage shed is a really handy thing to have around, when it gets too full you drive it to the flea market and empty it out :wink:

EverettB Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Supply and Demand.
Low supply given the demand.

Split Bus production was closer to 2M, not 10M.

Bloku Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:59 pm

EverettB wrote: Supply and Demand.
Low supply given the demand.

Split Bus production was closer to 2M, not 10M.

lol. sorry :oops: I meant 1 mill..... got carried away! :lol:

Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am

bugger101 wrote: market demand with all these kids that want to be dead heads nowadays :roll:

damn kids

gt1953 Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am

Well my take is that the rich guys are paying up for them and keeping the middle wage earners out if it.
The more type 1's that get crushed the better for us type 1 owners.

crukab Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Glenn wrote: Because they're cheaper than renting a storage locker.

Yepper .........

60ragtop Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:10 pm

there are not worth that much, that is just what people are paying for them :lol:

6T5 square Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:47 pm

if you have to ask, you just don't understand.

pre 67's only of course :twisted:

c21darrel Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:16 pm

a ghia is kinda like a Binz, both coach built VW's :wink:

Zeen Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Since it's a two-seater, Ghias have a limited market, and compete with lots of cool cars. And they're slow. Buses are more unique, relatively.

The first wave of collectors for vintage cars is middle aged guys who had one or wanted one when they were young. After a while the historical significance, rarity, etc. come in to play. Maybe some day Ghias will pull ahead of buses, but not until old guys want to be seen in one more than they want to be seen in a Corvette, Porsche, T-Bird, etc.

iowegian Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:03 pm

Zeen wrote: Since it's a two-seater, Ghias have a limited market, and compete with lots of cool cars. And they're slow. Buses are more unique, relatively.

The first wave of collectors for vintage cars is middle aged guys who had one or wanted one when they were young. After a while the historical significance, rarity, etc. come in to play. Maybe some day Ghias will pull ahead of buses, but not until old guys want to be seen in one more than they want to be seen in a Corvette, Porsche, T-Bird, etc.
Let's see:
T-Bird------check (had one)
Corvette----check (had one)
Porsche-----check (had one)

So now I have a Ghia. :P

Zeen Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:30 pm

iowegian wrote: Zeen wrote: Since it's a two-seater, Ghias have a limited market, and compete with lots of cool cars. And they're slow. Buses are more unique, relatively.

Let's see:
T-Bird------check (had one)
Corvette----check (had one)
Porsche-----check (had one)

So now I have a Ghia. :P

There ya' go.

Of course, how you want to be seen and what the rest of the world wants to see are entirely separate matters.

EverettB Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Zeen wrote: Since it's a two-seater, Ghias have a limited market, and compete with lots of cool cars. And they're slow. Buses are more unique, relatively.

The first wave of collectors for vintage cars is middle aged guys who had one or wanted one when they were young.

To add to that - A lot of middle-aged guys might not fit in a Ghia due to size issues

Bret2094 Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:05 pm

EverettB wrote: A lot of middle-aged guys might not fit in a Ghia due to size issues

Maybe that's why I don't own a split...I must need to gain some weight

Bret