TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help judge this baja purchase Page: 1, 2  Next
Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm

My grandpa is going to look at this Baja tomorrow 4/14

I found a lot of things wrong to my taste. Tell me what you think.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/4954795323.html

Mal evolent Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:09 pm

don't care for that cooling shroud
needs an engine cage / bumper, but I want to design my own
only body lift I would consider is the 3" BugZilla, which I have in a box at the house.
"balanced cam"?

Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 pm

I don't really care too much for the motor either, but I have a turnkey in my garage so that's no big deal.

Looks like it has "race" seats which tells me that the interior is shitty. I told my grandpa to start at $2000, but I think it's not worth that at all.

EnjoyNukaCola Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:05 pm

Wonder how it is inside. I feel like I saw this one a LONG time ago. Body lifts are meh.

Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm

yea, I'm iffy about it. I think it's a pass unless it can be had for cheap.

dustymojave Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm real impressed by his thinking-outside-the-box front toe and camber settings. Going for quick turn-in, Huh? Not to mention the weight savings by not installing the let front bearing cap.

Otherwise, Mal has covered most of the other points and we really haven't seen the interior or the wiring under the hood. I'd want a compression and leakdown test on the engine. Brave asking price. He's proud of it ain't he?

Brian Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 pm

exactly. not feelin' it.

Bashr52 Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:36 am

At least it has a "balanced cam" :lol:

Dale M. Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:07 am

It has "PROJECT" written all over it.... On thing I have noticed on Craigslist, the only show the best shots....

Dale

HERC Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 am

Smashed, shit filthy air filters and the crap fan shroud. Those touted internals must look nice after all that heat and dirt.
empi cage and lift.
Bottom line, will it do 70 for a half hour without flying apart.

Multi69s Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:18 pm

I am going to be the fly on the ceiling. To start with lets look at how the kit was installed. In my book, they did a pretty good job. The lip around the hood looks good, and the rest of the kit also seems to match the body well.

The paint job is decent looking as well as the wheels and tires. Also how much does a set of 44s run? What does a paint job run? What do wheels and tires run? What is the cost of an good engine build?

So the fan shroud is not the best. So it needs a rear bumper?

The main concern is how close is the car to the total package that you want? I have never ever ever spent less then that when I have just built an engine. I hate to say this (because I know that some of you do have experience), but this thread sounds like a bunch of people that don't know anything.

From the pictures, I see a car that with a doghouse shroud, and rear bumper could at least be a real fire road hauler.

However, only the test drive will tell the true facts. If the motor has spunk and the trans is in good shape - That is a decent price. Of course, I ALWAYS try to talk someone down :D .

Bret2094 Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Brian, why'd ya get rid of your old rig in the first place? Didn't take long to start to look for another I see

Bret

Brian Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Old one needed more work than I wanted to put in. The truck has my priority now. I'm not looking (lies) but my grandpa texted me out of the blue looking for one.

The one I posted was passed up. Not buying it.

And yes, I believe that it is customary to not pay asking price.

Bret2094 Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Brian wrote: I'm not looking (lies)

Lol you've got the itch bad man, probably as bad as me. The Vw gods know i'm up to my earballs in projects, but I keep looking for more. This shit is addicting

Bret

Brian Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:27 pm

No car I have owned can compare to any ACVW. Especially ones you can take "alternate routes" with :wink:

terryly Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Amen brother "The most fun you can have with your boots on"
Terry

Vanapplebomb Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:52 pm

X3

always amazes me what you can do with even a stock acvw.

Multi69s Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 am

Before I lowered the front of my 69 DD, I was really into photography of the Sierra Nevada's. I drove that car everywhere, fire roads, dried up lake beds you name it. The tires I ran were just 195 / 70 r14s street tires and I would drop the pressure and go. When I got back to the road, I had a little 12V compressor, and aired the tires up and headed home :D . This was pre Baja Days.

Brian Mon May 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Alright, my grandpa found another one: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5001657968.html

Guy says that he bought it from a restoration shop out in Arizona. It's never been off-road and looks pretty good. But my biggest thing is "1700cc with Bus transmission"

Short stroke and low gearing? Sounds like alll top end.

EnjoyNukaCola Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Looks cool!