TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No more Raby Camper Specials!? Other options?
Traveling Writer Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:07 pm

So finally I got in a place where I could order a camper special from Jake Raby only to learn that they are discontinued?! I can't even tell you the disappointment! Any suggestions on other builders who can do good engines along similar lines?

notchboy Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Traveling Writer wrote: So finally I got in a place where I could order a camper special from Jake Raby only to learn that they are discontinued?! I can't even tell you the disappointment! Any suggestions on other builders who can do good engines along similar lines?

Did you call him or just read stuff here? Last I remember him stating is that he did do stuff for T4 motors and or sell parts. Just sayin - check with them before you get any bass ackwards advice here. :wink:

GMATech Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Posted 1/15/15
Jake Raby wrote: Quote: When Jake Raby publicly turned his development attention away from the Type4, it was pretty clear that the jig was up for that engine

Ummn, I never did that. Can't you people understand that a company with several divisions can have individuals focusing on diversified tasks?

Last year we built more T4 engines than we did in 2013.

Nothing has changed or slowed down with us and the T4. Period.

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm

this thread pretty much confirms that jake kind of said farewell to the program

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...mp;start=0

can't say that it's a big surprise. he realized it's run its course. only jake can answer for sure. I think you can buy the parts from LN, but jake does not support them. again, only he can answer

Bleyseng Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:41 pm

The Camper Special kits are now available from the Type4store last I saw as Raby sold the parts biz off.
Last I heard he builds complete engines.

airkooledchris Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Traveling Writer wrote: So finally I got in a place where I could order a camper special from Jake Raby only to learn that they are discontinued?! I can't even tell you the disappointment! Any suggestions on other builders who can do good engines along similar lines?

did you want to pony up for a turnkey motor? then call Jake.

did you want to buy a camper special KIT and do it yourself? then call Len at the Type4store

CrRusty Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:02 pm

He wears pants which are WAY TOO big.............

Wildthings Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:30 pm

CrRusty wrote: He wears pants which are WAY TOO big.............
With Raby, you just never know what to believe. :cry:

Posted 1/15/15 Jake Raby wrote: Quote: When Jake Raby publicly turned his development attention away from the Type4, it was pretty clear that the jig was up for that engine

Ummn, I never did that. Can't you people understand that a company with several divisions can have individuals focusing on diversified tasks?

Last year we built more T4 engines than we did in 2013.

Nothing has changed or slowed down with us and the T4. Period.

Posted Dec 6, 2013
Jake Raby wrote: With 2014 prices for a CS at 20k it was time to end it. After 14 years and a few hundred built this last one proved that we made the right decision as it's cost analysis for the weeks spent to create it was staggering. Brent told me more than on e after fighting with this last one (bad core case, bad ECU and etc) that he was not happy putting so much into something time wise and I agreed. With no more CS engines on the schedule it was time to do the deed.

Jake Raby Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:35 pm

I discontinued the Camper Special and all bus turn key engines in 2013.

With the cost that was required to build them at our level there's no way we could meet the expectations of a buyer. As component quality went down further and further we had to employ LN Engineering Nickies cylinders, billet crankshafts and other parts that were USA made just to produce a quality engine.

I built one engine with these inclusions and while it was the most powerful CS we'd ever built, it wasn't worth what it cost to produce.

In this business there are times thatbyoubhave to say no, and understand that the next engine you build might be the death of your reputation. With costs in excess of 20k, the chances of that occurring were incredibly high.

Now, also understand that the CS kit from the Type 4 Store isn't mine. I also sold the store in 2013.

Yes, we are still very busy with T4 turn key engines; I am just very selective about which jobs and applications that we work with.

cliveawn Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:17 pm

In europe it has to be JPM in Sweden?
My motor is soon to be done by him.
Anybody else in Europe?
I know Paul Weeding of LVH motors in the UK is good too.

Heliconman Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:41 am

I have not used him but other people have and had very good things to say about Adrian at Head flow masters in California. You can buy a turn key engine from him. The type 4 store would be a good option for someone who wanted to do the assembly themselves.

I am in the same boat now and weighing all the options out there.

Good Luck!

Jalabert Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Laurie Petit in the UK has a good rep, too.

dwill49965 Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 am

Traveling Writer wrote: Any suggestions on other builders who can do good engines along similar lines?

Try Gary at Suburban Engine Exchange.

http://www.suburbanengine.com/index.htm

Jake Raby Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 pm

I got an email today from a customer that took delivery of my engine in 2013. His bus was stolen a few months back and when it was recovered it was a total loss. The engine was never installed and is still in the crate.

He says he'll sell it for a 2,000.00 loss to get rid of it, which leaves it around 20K and its complete and ready to be installed. Anyone wanting his contact info, shoot me a PM. The engine is located in Iowa

richparker Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Wow! Thank you for posting that for everyone. I'm sure it will found a great bay to live it.