TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: El Prado & Classic Same Day? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
AzBrewCrew Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Being from out of town (not Orange County) I am making the trek over for the Classic weekend, but it now looks like El Prado is the same day? From what I heard El Prado was great last year.

Also, I have to say last year The Classic at the OC Fairgrounds seemed to be a bit of a cluster!

I will be hitting the Friday and Saturday Classic events.

So what are the thoughts of The Samba crowd on which one sounds like a better use of a Sunday?

pip hancox Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:11 pm

from what I can make out, most of the show cars, new builds, out of towners and show car type clubs will be at Classic which this year has promised to be better organized with more space to work with than last year, whereas Prado will be more for the family/camping type crowd.
trust me, I think its a terrible idea for the Prado organizers to put their show on the same day as Classic but was accused of being a "hater" for questioning the motivation and reasoning for doing so! :roll:
would've been cool to be able to go to both but i'll be at Classic as will everyone else I know from here and overseas.
hope this helps.
pip.

pyrOman Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:39 pm

AzBrewCrew wrote: So what are the thoughts of The Samba crowd on which one sounds like a better use of a Sunday?

You are asking for opinions and that's what you are going to get. :?

I for one will not be going to classic, having done so last year, even if it wasn't on the same day as the Prado Show. Will wait it out for a few and see how it turns out... eventually. Since doing the BlackStar Campout Week-end has always been great for me, I will of course attend the Prado Show. Missed it last year because I had to leave early but from the get go it sure looked like the awesome show it actually became. MHO. 8)

c21darrel Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Quote: I have to say last year The Classic at the OC Fairgrounds seemed to be a bit of a cluster!
A bit? Very diplomatic. :cry:

I wonder if the current fire will affect Prado?

pb_foots Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:52 am

I enjoyed the hell out of the Classic last year. It was nice seeing different cars and different styles all mixed up, instead of 'here's the row of X' thing that had happened in past years.

From a spectator's POV, walking the show at the OC fairgrounds was way better than standing in line in a parking lot for an hour for a burger with a 4 year old flipping out. Huge improvement in the food, the layout, and ease of getting in and out.

I'm bummed that it's the same day, since Prado is a lot closer and we like to support local events, but my family and I will be at the classic.

Love to see someone have a show in the late Feb/early March timeframe. June is just too damn hot in the IE.

Soul Built Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am

pip hancox wrote: from what I can make out, most of the show cars, new builds, out of towners and show car type clubs will be at Classic which this year has promised to be better organized with more space to work with than last year, whereas Prado will be more for the family/camping type crowd.
trust me, I think its a terrible idea for the Prado organizers to put their show on the same day as Classic but was accused of being a "hater" for questioning the motivation and reasoning for doing so! :roll:
would've been cool to be able to go to both but i'll be at Classic as will everyone else I know from here and overseas.
hope this helps.
pip.

I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I'd say I'm pretty involved in the SoCal Scene and most people I know will for-go the classic.

in my opinion, the only promoters that are making a mistake are those that run the classic. The Utter disregard for the "core" participant is downright disrespectful. DKP, DBK, and a bunch of people from out of town that don't know better will be the core participants of the classic this year.

my disclaimer is that I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm being realistic as to what I have heard and what others have shared with me. Obviously I am in no way in control of what goes on nor do I hope to sway anyone's opinion.

SoCal Chuck Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 am

Growing up in so Cal and being involved in the VW scene since 98, it was about time the show scene changed a little. Prado is the perfect place for family, friends and street driven VWs. Classic was more the place for vendors and show cars, it was nice drooling over so many nice cars as a youngster. Now I drool over cold beer and BBQ ribs while camping under the trees with my people. Not everyone likes shows on hot ass asphalt, $20 a person and over priced hamburgers. Just my honest and humble opinion just like everyone else has one.

K.K.Hooligans Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

The Classic = (A Chump Show To Begin With) Expensive Entrance Fee? / Expensive Burger? / Hot Asphalt? / Trailer Queens? / $3.00 Trophys?... Etc.
Again... Sounds like the "The Old Jamboree's"

El Prado = Family / Freinds / Laid Back Good Times / Fun Games / Beer/ Camping / Swappers / Shady Trees / Lake Fishing / Clean Showers & Rest Rooms / Very reasonable Entrance Fee... Etc.
Its not about the "MONEY".!!

I only know less than a handful of people going to "The Jamboree.... Ooopps... I mean The so called "Classic".

But I know that a shit load of people going to "El Prado".!!

Hooligans Bitches.!!

c21darrel Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:34 pm

"Not everyone likes shows on hot ass asphalt, $20 a person and over priced hamburgers."

It not $20.

Classic PRICES
Adult Admission (WALK IN) $20
Kids admission $5
Kids 6 and under Free
Parking (WALK IN) $7 PER CAR
Car Show $25 (includes 1 adult admission)
Swap Meet $40 per space (includes 1 adult admission)

El Prado PRICES
Car Show Participants are $20 per car (air-cooled)
*Bring 2 canned food items and pay only $15 per car
All Spectators are $20 per car
*yes, including all passengers! So load 'em up!

Stitch Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Speaking as one who has traveled year after year to SoCal for "Blackstar Weekend" it's ALWAYS been about the people. Hanging out with and meeting those that share the same passion and understand what it's about. It's about time that the planets aligned and brought all of the elements together for what's IMHO the best campout family car show kick ass west coast weekend of the year! Those that enjoy paying for a trophy will of coarse settle for hot asphalt and all that... But even though I live here now , I know ALL the outta towners I know will be getting to Blackstar early to camp and waking up to bacon and friends on Sunday AT THE SAME SPOT for the Prado show 8) the weekend is for the people by the people. Bring the kids! Last year was amazing to see SO MANY VWs all parked on the grass by the lake! And if you haven't camped for Blackstar before... Get it together!
My guess is the Classic is done... They can make it FREE or pass out personal invites to a club so they show up... But I'd still choose Blackstar/Prado weekend over being begged to park in a parking lot.
Just my 2 cents... Who knows... Maybe it's just me. :roll:

( No offense to any Classic promoters posting on here , lol)

Rich's 50 Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:21 am

I'm going to both hopefully...I've read some good comments and some dumb one's because some folks like drama but in the end of the day it's just a car show and it's not that serious! 8)

mg6770 Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Rich's 50 wrote: I've read some good comments and some dumb one's because some folks like drama but in the end of the day it's just a car show and it's not that serious! 8)

^^This pretty much sums this thread up

pyrOman Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 am

mg6770 wrote: Rich's 50 wrote: I've read some good comments and some dumb one's because some folks like drama but in the end of the day it's just a car show and it's not that serious! 8)

^^This pretty much sums this thread up

In all fairness, A B C ask for opinions and good, bad, ugly or indifferent, that's what you get here. Appropiate IMO. 8)

GTV Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:12 am

I understand why Prado exists (and I am no fan of the Bugorama folks), but doing both shows on the same day in the same general area is bullshit. The ACVW hobby is not increasing in popularity, dividing us up is not helping our cause.
I really hope to see joined forces in the coming years as I am a fan of both events for different reasons. I get the feeling that both organizers are probably too stubborn to make that a reality though.

Daskombi Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:45 pm

AzBrewCrew wrote: Being from out of town (not Orange County) I am making the trek over for the Classic weekend, but it now looks like El Prado is the same day? From what I heard El Prado was great last year.

Also, I have to say last year The Classic at the OC Fairgrounds seemed to be a bit of a cluster!

So what are the thoughts of The Samba crowd on which one sounds like a better use of a Sunday?

To express my 2 cents, both are good events, went to both last year, both cater to different likes ,or types of people, its a tough choice for sure,i say ask your friends, or the people your coming with ware they will be and go with them and have a good time. See ya at one of the events, ill have a beer with ya if you attend VTO's Blackstar Campout

Stitch Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Daskombi wrote: AzBrewCrew wrote: Being from out of town (not Orange County) I am making the trek over for the Classic weekend, but it now looks like El Prado is the same day? From what I heard El Prado was great last year.

To express my 2 cents, both are good events, went to both last year, both cater to different likes ,or types of people, its a tough choice for sure,i say ask your friends, or the people your coming with ware they will be and go with them and have a good time. See ya at one of the events, ill have a beer with ya if you attend VTO's Blackstar Campout

Yes. That's what I was trying to say… You're much better with words though :wink:

VWcollector1 Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:41 pm

I come down from San Jose every year to show my wares and what I've collected over the year and sell at Rich Kimball's VW collectible show. This year it sounds like Bug O Rama has ended the relationship with him and taking over that show at the Wyndham.

I couldn't believe it when I called them to reserve a table, they said to put a money order in an envelope and send $80 (for four tables) to a P.O Box in Sacramento. WTF?, are we not in the 21st century?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything else regarding this show. Typically held around 12-2 at the hotel. I went to Prado last year and was pretty impressed with the level of organization and fun activities and food. Seemed like nothing was spared in putting on a well organized and fun show for the family.

Wondering if anyone can tell me about the collectible show if you know of vendors attending or if everyone is pretty much not going to make a statement.

56reddy Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:51 pm

vwnut_98 wrote: I come down from San Jose every year to show my wares and what I've collected over the year and sell at Rich Kimball's VW collectible show. This year it sounds like Bug O Rama has ended the relationship with him and taking over that show at the Wyndham.

I couldn't believe it when I called them to reserve a table, they said to put a money order in an envelope and send $80 (for four tables) to a P.O Box in Sacramento. WTF?, are we not in the 21st century?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything else regarding this show. Typically held around 12-2 at the hotel. I went to Prado last year and was pretty impressed with the level of organization and fun activities and food. Seemed like nothing was spared in putting on a well organized and fun show for the family.

Wondering if anyone can tell me about the collectible show if you know of vendors attending or if everyone is pretty much not going to make a statement.

Koch's in now doing that part of the weekend.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624093

Nellynel Tue May 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Rich's 50 wrote: I'm going to both hopefully...I've read some good comments and some dumb one's because some folks like drama but in the end of the day it's just a car show and it's not that serious! 8)

I'm going for the first time this year. Is it actually possible to go get to both shows?

pb_foots Tue May 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Nellynel wrote: Rich's 50 wrote: I'm going to both hopefully...I've read some good comments and some dumb one's because some folks like drama but in the end of the day it's just a car show and it's not that serious! 8)

I'm going for the first time this year. Is it actually possible to go get to both shows?

Sure. It's only about 30 miles from one to the other. Depending on traffic, that's either about 40 minutes or an hour and a half-ish.

Not sure you'd want to though. You'd end up rushing I think.