TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel line to pump Page: 1, 2  Next
14platoon Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:21 am

1974 bay window 1800cc
I'm looking to replace the fuel line from tank to the original pump. What's the best way to do this? I don't want to be spilling fuel everywhere. What size pipe do I need?
I believe the current one may be deteriorating and I think it has a slight leak when warm.
Thanks

old DKP driver Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:18 am

It's a job that can be done with or without having gas pouring down you arm
if you take the time to clamp the outlet hose off and drain whatever gas is in the tank into another container.

Or' have you decided that now you want to do this and you just filled the tank up on Friday. :roll:

aeromech Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am

I just did this in a 1972 that had the engine driven fuel pump near the starter. Not sure if yours does too or if you have the first year fuel injection.

I do everything I can before removing the old line from the tank outlet but unless I want to drain and flush out the tank, I just get things in place and go for it. A pair of needle nose vise grips is nice for pinching the line closed. I always wind up with fuel running into my armpit and afterwards running for the shower and to change my shirt. You can try tieing a rag around your forearm, that helps some.

PLF-Blue Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 am

Just did this on our 76.
Read all about spilling the gas and everything but was not a problem. Maybe lost 1/4 of a cup on the ground and my arm.
Like aeromech said - have everything ready before hand and just go for it.
Also had a second set of hands available to assist which helped.
On ours, had the new line hooked to a new filter already with the outlet plugged temporarily by the second set of hands. Had everything pre-run along the old line and Just went for it, removed the old line connection and replaced asap. Then a quick connection down the line. Wasnt that bad. Really.

Tcash Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:00 am

I figured this one out after getting bathed in trans oil from a 928 Cat. Pull a vacuum on the case.

Seal the fuel filler hose off at the gas cap, tape a piece of plastic, plastic wrap under the cap. Pull the vent line and pull a vacuum on it.

When you pull the hose off the fuel tank nipple, it will take a couple of seconds before the fuel starts running. So work fast. When the fuel does start running, it will be significantly slower.

Note: put the new hose clamp on the new hose before you put it on. Line the clamp up so you can get to it when the hose is installed, the easy way. Or after, the hard way.

Good Luck
Tcash

PLF-Blue Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:03 am

Tcash wrote:

Note: put the new hose clamp on the new hose before you put it on. Line the clamp up so you can get to it when the hose is installed, the easy way. Or after, the hard way.

Good Luck
Tcash

^^^^^^^ yes! What he said!

Wildthings Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:19 am

Best to do it outside so the fumes can not accumulate, but you need to be wary of the guy that might toss a cigarette butt over the fence.

aeromech Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am

Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first. Ask me how I know.

Wildthings Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 am

aeromech wrote: Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first. Ask me how I know.

Agreed, I had meant to mention that.

aeromech Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 am

Wildthings wrote: aeromech wrote: Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first. Ask me how I know.

Agreed, I had meant to mention that.

I didn't know I could move that fast.

raygreenwood Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 am

One of the many innovations that make me like my type 4 cars.....they have a drain plug in the tank. A nice addition if you have your tank out for refurb is to have a bung welded in at the lowest spot. :wink:
Ray

aeromech Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:06 pm

raygreenwood wrote: One of the many innovations that make me like my type 4 cars.....they have a drain plug in the tank. A nice addition if you have your tank out for refurb is to have a bung welded in at the lowest spot. :wink:
Ray

Ray,
On the early bus tanks with the threaded outlet, I wonder if a guy could install a three way valve? On / Off / Drain

Tcash Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

aeromech wrote: Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first. Ask me how I know.
Especially if you are welding wrenches to the starter?
Ask aeromech how he knows?

Been there done that. The welding.
Tcash

14platoon Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:14 pm

That's great advice guys particularly the innovative vacuum idea T Cash.
Wasn't sure if I was overthinking the job at first but you've all helped answer my question. :D

PITApan Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

run the tank almost dry, then snip the line near the pump and drain into a gas can. Set that aside and work in comfort and leisure.

Tcash Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Tcash wrote: I figured this one out after getting bathed in trans oil from a 928 Cat. Pull a vacuum on the case.

Seal the fuel filler hose off at the gas cap, tape a piece of plastic, plastic wrap under the cap. Pull the vent line and pull a vacuum on it.

When you pull the hose off the fuel tank nipple, it will take a couple of seconds before the fuel starts running. So work fast. When the fuel does start running, it will be significantly slower.

Good Luck
Tcash

jtauxe Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:07 am

PITApan wrote: run the tank almost dry, then snip the line near the pump and drain into a gas can. Set that aside and work in comfort and leisure.
This is my approach, learned after many incidents of getting gas on me and the pavement. Just drain the thing, and you work at your leisure, as PITApan says.

I have done (and will do) this job on a '72 and '73 bus. That fuel pump is hard to get to, and the space is pretty grimy with road crap. Not a pleasant job, for sure, but it is nice to use the original fuel pump!

The hardest part for me is threading the line from the fuel pump through the tin and into the engine compartment.

aeromech Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:50 am

I believe Pita is no longer with us.

PITApan Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:26 am

aeromech wrote: I believe Pita is no longer with us. Actually I spent a week in the hospital and a month in rehab. Sub-fun. :cry: Got out yesterday. Very limited net access, back on the home machine now .. I was, and am,still following some threads. 8)

aeromech Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:10 am

Sorry to hear this. Get well soon.