TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buying first bus, do you think this is a good deal? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reaperman Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:37 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200309111353171065

Considering buying this van, its within my budget, and appears to be in fairly good condition...

but then again, im not an expert... this bus is twice is old as me... (i am 18, ive wanted a bus since as far back as i can remember :) )

i want this bus to give me at least 5 good years before the engine blows... or some problem like that (because of my aforementioned age, and subway isnt exactly the best-paying job)

also, it appers to be in awsome condition, exept for one thing...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/210587.jpg
^--- now im sorry, but that door appears not just rusty, but ROTTEN... (can make out no other rust on the entire bus, which i find weird)

thanks for awnsering, and i hope you can help me not get ripped off :lol:

EDIT: if you need to know, im going for a daily driver bus, not some sunday collecters edition 8) )

PS. where can i find a good roof rack (preferably full length) and ladder, that will fit that bus, for a subway salary price? :-p

6d6vdub Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:54 pm

First things first. Do you live anywhere near the bus? Since your looking for a daily driver i definately recomend that you test drive it first. And look at it in person, look underneath the bus, underneath the mat up front and so on. Also the bus has pretty good looking paint but is a little rough around the cargo doors. You could always bring along a magnet and check for extreme use of body filler so you know if any cosmetic work was done with a body filler. Personally i don't think i'd pay quite that for a unoriginal bus. And as far as the ladder and roofrack....Your best bet is probably at the swaps. you have bulli brigade and other shows down in florida.

Friedpotatoes Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:28 pm

i say go for it once you test drive it if it lives up to what he says then its a great deal

my bus has no rust on the cargo floor or the rocker and the bottom of my cargo doors are gettin crusty so its just from old seals that allow water to get in there and creat the rust but that and some places drain holes get cloged and hold water happens alot on bugs

but that thing looks perfect for a daily driver one min wage and the stuff he mentions is little things (fuses) so somthing may be hiding but the stuff he points out wrong is no big deal you couldnt do in a weekend

and check them corners and floors and rockers and nose for bondo it couldbe in places you never even knew (found 3 thick patches from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of bondo i was yelling that day)

Lind Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:48 pm

if you are not extremely mechanical knowledgable, you MUST get a full used vehicle inspection by an experienced vw shop that has no ties to the seller of the bus. it will cost you $50-$100. this is the best money you can spend when looking for a bus. you have to do this BEFORE you buy. this is very important.

if the engine runs good now, the length of time before the engine goes out is mostly dependant of how you drive the bus. get a temperature gauge and don't try to drive it like a race car.

also, budget in replacing the fuel pump, distibutor and air cleaner. all need to be done to that engine.

fuel pump needs to be a current production one piece unit. they are cheap and they won't spit the fitting and burn your bus to the ground like that one might do.

distributor should be a vacuum advance unit.

air cleaner should be an oil bath unit.

Friedpotatoes Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:09 pm

Quote: fuel pump needs to be a current production one piece unit. they are cheap and they won't spit the fitting and burn your bus to the ground like that one might do.

i however enjoy the that son of a b that combo makes :lol:

bit o agree with everthing but the oilbath unit inless it works good then it just sucks

Friedpotatoes Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:09 pm

Quote: fuel pump needs to be a current production one piece unit. they are cheap and they won't spit the fitting and burn your bus to the ground like that one might do.

i however enjoy the that son of a b that combo makes :lol:

bit o agree with everthing but the oilbath unit inless it works good otherwise it just sucks

j.pickens Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:25 am

Lind has given you some excellent advice there.
For $5500, sounds a little pricey for that bus.
The rockers have something funny going on.
There are a lot of photos in the ad, but very few of the lower nether regions, always a bad vibe for the rust/restoration condition.
You say you only want the bus for a daily driver, but if you live in Florida, you need a reasonably watertight bus. Lots of rain down there. That poprivet job or whatever it is on the rockers and driver/passenger floor probably won't cut it.

Bottom line, I've seen better for less money.

pyrOman Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:58 am

Second that emotion!

Too much $$ for that bus. Needs very close inspection of rustosis issues underneath. Looks cool but looks are deceiving. Seller seems to just want you to pay for the bus he really wants.

Prolly more in the $2500 to $3k range. If it could be had for that much the first thing to go has got to be that gay back seat cover :shock: Also that "breather" hose WILL bring some issues. The way it's installed it will trap oil at the lowest end and will not let the motor "breathe". It should be installed in such a manner that any oil left in it will pour back into the motor when you shut it off.

If the price doesn't come down considerably, pass on it, look for a better deal. Be patient and you'll find your bus.

Good luck! 8)

Karl Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:05 am

Twice in the ad, he says "good day runner"...... hmmm, what is wrong with it at night?? At least it has 'new fuses'!!!!

I also wonder why he did not paint the fuel door when he repainted the bus.......

Reaperman Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:44 am

actually, i live in ohio

i am willing to fly down and pick it up...

my only criteria=

Must be a split bus
Must run for at least 5 years
Must be under $6000

thats.... it...

have you ever seen a bus in ohio? NO

i dont care about rust, as long as it isnt hardkore rust... (like, its about to fall apart)

no matter what, im going to be buying it blind, so i need something that will run for 5 years

i dont really have the money for any extra tests, or extra flights to cali or florida to test drive it...

does anyone know of a reputable person selling a mechanicly-sound split bus?

(i would really appreceate the help)

pyrOman Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51 am

Apparently you don't care to spend THAT much for rust.

All we are saying is that kind of $$ will get you a better deal than the one you posted.

You asked of an opinion, you got it.

Good luck either way! 8)

Lind Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:06 am

the problems with rust are much more than just holes in the floor. it is a systemic problem that will manifest its self in bolts breaking off rather than unscrewing and wierd things breaking and not being easy to replace.

if you must have a car that will go five years without breaking down, don't buy a bus. if you drive it regularly, I can almost gaurantee you that it will break down at least once a year. we are talking about a 40 year old car here. go buy the muir book (idiots guide) and read it cover to cover before you buy a bus. after you read it, if you are thinking "yeah, I can do that" then you have a fighting chance of having a good experience with vintage cars. if you are thinking "whoa, thats way over my head, I will have to pay someone else to fix my bus" then realize that you will have to work eight or ten hours at subway for every one hour your mechanic spends on your bus.

that said, VW buses are great vehicles and I have never had my bus strand me out of town. I have had to fix some really oddball things though.

Reaperman Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:13 pm

im fine with minor problems once a year, but i dont want to end up buying a whole new engine...

is it all doomsday and the like, or do quality busses exist?

can someone point me in the right direction? :-p

im not picky, im willing to shell out a couple hundred in repairs a year, but anyhing bayond that, i dunno...

im deadset on a bus, and i would like to hear what i should do, not what i shouldnt :-p

Lind Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Reaperman wrote: im fine with minor problems once a year, but i dont want to end up buying a whole new engine...

its not like clockwork, every may 8th something will break. I said at least once a year. expect more. stuff wears out on old cars.

Reaperman wrote:
is it all doomsday and the like, or do quality busses exist?

there are quality ones out there. if you don't have the expertise to tell, you must rely on the expertise of the mechanic who you will be paying to do the used vehicle inspection.
Reaperman wrote:
can someone point me in the right direction? :-p

you are on the right website. don't be afraid to ask stupid questions and don't get offended when we tell you that you are asking a stupid question. also search the forums before you ask a question.
Reaperman wrote:
im not picky, im willing to shell out a couple hundred in repairs a year, but anyhing bayond that, i dunno...

I would budget at least $100 per month toward vehicle repairs. bank the money and then if a big one comes up, you will be able to afford the fix.
Reaperman wrote:
im deadset on a bus, and i would like to hear what i should do, not what i shouldnt :-p
buy a bus for the mechanical condition, not necesarily the shinyness. drive the bus see how it feels to you. if it drives like shit, don't even bother getting a used vehicle inspection. buy with your head, not with your heart. within your budget you should be able to find a bus that is a solid candidate. if you see one on thesamba that is a ways away from you, hop on the forums and ask if there is anyone in the area that can take a look at it and tell you if you should look into it further.

Reaperman Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:46 pm

but i dont have a head for it, thats why i ask you...

can you give me a direct link to the bus i should get...

the expertice i am relying on is yours...

EDIT: ive been preparing for this for a few months now, getting credit, setting up a bank loan, reading up on it... now my only step left is find the right bus for me, and hand over the money

Lind Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:09 pm

the bus you get is up to you. I will offer my help to you along the way, but you need to decide for yourself what you want in a bus. there are a lot of factors to consider. it appears that you are looking at the two windshields and have a broad range past that.

some things to think about:

passenger model or camper or commercial model

walk through front or bench seat

older or newer model

you will probably find that a later splittie (64-67) will give you the most function for your money. a walk through is usually preferable for functionality.

if you want to spend your summers traveling to rock and roll concerts and trying to catch diseases from pretty hippy girls, you will find that this is easiest done in a walk through camper. ;)

take a look through the gallery on this site and think about what you like. realize that there is pretty much no way that you will be able to find a decent 21-window in your price range. (just dream about it for now)

performance modifications are quite expensive. the best thing that you can do for reliability is to keep the mechanical things stock. don't go for a huge engine and don't think that you will be able to drive any kind of fast.

buy what you want to begin with. you don't want to get upside down in a panelvan and then realize that you want something with windows.

don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket and be willing to walk away from the wrong deal. there are hundreds of buses for sale on this site and more show up every day.

Reaperman Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:35 pm

ok, i have PREFERANCES... but i dont wanna be too picky

Requirments
*Less then 6K
*Overall good condition, minor problems ok, but no "about to die" busses
*Must be split bus, any year before 67 (because i hate bay windows with a raw, seething passion)

I would PREFER:
*11 window Kombi (the ones with the removable seats)
*Seats
*Little or no rust

Luxuries: (i will most likely get thest eventually :-p but not at all important)
*Full length roof rack and ladder
*Safari's (yes, i know they leak, im willing to go out with a towel after rain and dry it off to prevent rust :-p)

is there anything that fits this?

i know what i want, but i just am trying to find assistance, i hope i found the right place ^_^

(by the way, do you have aol instant messanger, or something like that where i can talk to you in a more.... conveniant fashion)

Friedpotatoes Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:42 pm

give a standard bus some love most just get the love of a saw

Reaperman Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:48 pm

nah... im cool with crusing around in this ---v v-----

(yes i know you probibly see a million buselecta edits, but this is my ideal bus ^--- )

i have three major reasons im getting a bus

1. ive always wanted one, from the first time i ever saw MST3K :-p (anyone know what im talking about?)

2. I wanna turn heads, crusing around in such a distinctive car (no matter how igly it turns out to be)

3. and i am more or less the driver for a local band.... and we all know a mid-60's bus is the ultimate bandmobile ^_~

mynameismud Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:39 pm

Reaperman wrote: nah... im cool with crusing around in this ---v v-----

(yes i know you probibly see a million buselecta edits, but this is my ideal bus ^--- )

i have three major reasons im getting a bus

1. ive always wanted one, from the first time i ever saw MST3K :-p (anyone know what im talking about?)

2. I wanna turn heads, crusing around in such a distinctive car (no matter how igly it turns out to be)

3. and i am more or less the driver for a local band.... and we all know a mid-60's bus is the ultimate bandmobile ^_~

Where about in Ohio? I live in Indy- and go to the Cent. OH. show every year. There are plenty -well not really- of split busses in the midwest (last year there was a '59 DD panel (yah your not looking of that) that had the asking price of 5k. It was a very nice restoration, and he probably could have been talked down. I would say pass on the bus- unless you check it out thoroghly- but like others say, keep your eyes open and be patient. If anything purchase one from a dryer climate- If there is rust on that bus, the Midwest weather will only make it worse.