TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Martin Senour Finish 1
jspbtown Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 am

Just thought I would throw out some observation on the Finish 1 single stage paint from Martin Senour that I just sprayed.

I have painted a few cars and usually use Kirker paints but since I was painting a piece of exercise equipment I didn't need a full gallon of paint. I paint in my home garage with heat and ac if needed.

Last Saturday it was in the mid 70s & no humidity so I mixed up a quart with the medium activator according to instructions (4:1). I sprayed the first coat and waited for it to become "hand slick". I waited almost 1 hour and it still remained tacky. I sprayed the second coat and kept my fan running and heater on for several hours. That night it dropped into the low 50s.

Well two days later it is still curing. Some parts are hand slick while others have a small amount of tack left to them. Yesterday I opened up the garage, had fans blowing air in and out, and put two halogen lights near the piece. It helped a bit.

Today I have closed everything up, put a fan near the piece and cranked up the heat.

I am hoping to get this thing to cure.

So my advice is to watch your temps. I guess I should have used a fast activator but I never had this problem with a medium activator and the Kirker paints. unless real hot I would suggest a fast activator. This stuff sure cures slowly.

jspbtown Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:48 am

Ok..its not going to fully cure. Most sections are hand slick but if I grab the part there is a slight stickiness to it.

So...I know it might not be right but what about scuffing and putting two coats of clear on it?

Remember...its not a car, its a piece of exercise equipment. Most of it will rarely be touched. Handgrips will have handles. Where the weights are added is not painted.

What do you think?

Air-Cooled Head Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:14 pm

jspbtown wrote: Ok..its not going to fully cure. Most sections are hand slick but if I grab the part there is a slight stickiness to it.

So...I know it might not be right but what about scuffing and putting two coats of clear on it?

Remember...its not a car, its a piece of exercise equipment. Most of it will rarely be touched. Handgrips will have handles. Where the weights are added is not painted.

What do you think?

If it's still even a little sticky, how will you scuff it? Seems whatever you'd use to scuff would get loaded up.

jspbtown Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Exactly...which is why I would want to sand it. In most parts your hand will slide across it and it feels dry. But if you push your hand against it and lift you can feel some stick.