TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Valve lash help Page: 1, 2  Next
SoldierBoy18 Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

Ok for some im very new to this whole car thing and working on big engines.I need some help on setting valve lash but i need someone to guide me through it and actually be talking to me on the phone .Being on the phone makes things a lot easier for me to describe as well as the person helping .This is my first time doing this on a car the youtube videos have all confused me more (i have done so on go kart engines but a whole different ball game for me anyways) can someone plz give me a call at 6616745568 im up till 3 am my time (California time) sleep till 11am . any help is much obliged.

Glenn Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:26 am

http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/valve_adjustment.htm

SoldierBoy18 Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Glenn wrote: http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/valve_adjustment.htm
i started on valve one on cylinder one at tdc after doing that one at 006 i rotated it clockwise 180 At BDC and did the exhaust at 008 then rotated the pully till 2 was on it and not rocking then 180 degree's after that i set the exhaust 008 then so on and so forth

SoldierBoy18 Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Friend told me to set all of them at 006 but a guy on youtube said he likes to do his intake at 006 and exhaust at 007 ?

60ragtop Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 pm

.006. get a couple of different manuals and start reading. To many questions leads to information overload :wink:

SoldierBoy18 Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm

60ragtop wrote: .006. get a couple of different manuals and start reading. To many questions leads to information overload :wink:
yes it does i wish i had some manuals mines a 70s uo model engine

gt1953 Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Are you referring to the engine number as UO? If yes that would have been a type 3 engine case. Still set your valves at .006

eashc Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Get the how to keep a VW alive idiot book
There's a company up by you. West Coast Core. No nothing about them bu they may/may not be helpful. Stop by and talk with them. May help you, or mY not help.

SoldierBoy18 Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:05 am

eashc wrote: Get the how to keep a VW alive idiot book
There's a company up by you. West Coast Core. No nothing about them bu they may/may not be helpful. Stop by and talk with them. May help you, or mY not help.
Gee thanks for the warm welcome .We all started somewhere did we not .Thank you so all valves to 006 that includes exhaust valves i was taught to set the exhaust valve a little after the intake .

modok Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 am

All the type-1 engine made in the 70's used the same valve lash specs. There isn't any different specs for particular engines in that time period, but if the engine has been modified with different parts(steel pushrods??) then that doesen't apply.
It was .004 but they changed it to .006 later on to be on the safe side, because hippies were lax in maintenance.
Both can work. If you set them at .004 then they should be checked more often. Customer is a hippie?? yeah .007 on the exhaust valves!! LOL
Running too tight is dangerous to the valves, and too loose makes excessive clatter noise.

I usually do .004-.005 intake and .005-.006 exhaust with go/no go feelers. It does not have to be exact.
If you find they are WAY off then you should check often and keep an eye on it.
If they barely need any adjustment then that tells you things are good and your probably checking too often.

60ragtop Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 am

see :wink:

Jacks Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:23 am

SoldierBoy18 wrote: eashc wrote: Get the how to keep a VW alive idiot book
Gee thanks for the warm welcome .We all started somewhere did we not .Thank you so all valves to 006 that includes exhaust valves i was taught to set the exhaust valve a little after the intake . This one
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

EverettB Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 am

SoldierBoy18 wrote: eashc wrote: Get the how to keep a VW alive idiot book
Gee thanks for the warm welcome .We all started somewhere did we not .Thank you so all valves to 006 that includes exhaust valves i was taught to set the exhaust valve a little after the intake .

If you want to do that, then do what Modok said:
modok wrote: I usually do .004-.005 intake and .005-.006 exhaust with go/no go feelers. It does not have to be exact.

Dr OnHolliday Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Hey dude!

There are oodles of books titled as "The Idiot's Guide to ...". It was not a personal slam on you.

SoldierBoy18 Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm

mark tucker Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 pm

oh ...so were adjusting the valve stems in the tire wheel assy.......I just screw mine in snugly& fill to 34 psi. and be sure to aim all valve stems downward so no water gets in the tires. :wink:

60ragtop Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:31 am

No it should be 18 psi front 28 psi rear and if hubcaps are installed, the the VW emblem should be inline with the valve stem

ebenasky Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:30 pm

60ragtop wrote: No it should be 18 psi front 28 psi rear and if hubcaps are installed, the the VW emblem should be inline with the valve stem

Is that with the V pointing to the stem? All this time I've been just slapping on my hubcaps in no particular order. I DO use the puller instead of prying them off with a screwdriver.

Oh - and as far as valve lash goes, it may depend on your engine. I have been setting my '74 1600 to .006 for both and it seems to run fine.

Miklo Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 pm

eashc wrote: There's a company up by you. West Coast Core. No nothing about them bu they may/may not be helpful.

[-X

Get to know West Coast Core...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71504

Feel free to come by the Del Taco on L and 40th W. Friday nights around 6:30-7:00PM.

That's when and where your local air-cooled club meets up.

I'm always there. 8)

At the end of the night after the cruise we usually head back to our local club garage. NoBudgetVwGarage... We can set ya straight.

mark tucker Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 pm

the wife said I need to work on my core :shock: so ..I guess it's the east coast core over hear :wink: