TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where is a good place to buy 73 T3 rear rubber brakes lines?
blues90 Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:21 pm

I have never replaced mine . In fact I never replaced the master cylinder or the front calipers or any of the metal lines . I did replace the rear wheel cylinders and front hoses around 1998 and once the front pads and three times the rear shoes.

The calipers don't leak and the outer seals look fine and they don't bind .

I looked at a few sites some seem to try to scare you telling you the brake fluid res being plastic can crack and leak.

I don't know if I've been lucky or not . all I know is most of these brake parts are the same ones on the car when I got it in 85 .

I changed the front pads because one day the car pulled to the left and since the calipers are designed in a way that they won't allow the pads to be metal to metal they just have so much travel then stop .

Autozone has rear brake lines and pads and shoes not much cheaper than some on-line places . I don't feel it's needed to use German parts the rear wheel cylinders aren't or are the pads . I can't afford a master cylinder. some are $150 to $200 . I'm not hard on brakes and have changed the fluid last time three years ago. I replaced the rear cylinders because I rebuilt them once and one leaked so I got Napa ones I think.

I ask because I read on hear about puddles of fluid at the floor from the metal line . On my old 69 Econoline van I always rebuilt the wheel cylinders and only had problems with the master cylinder leaking and never had to replace the brake lines and it spent most of it's life in IL .

Am I pressing my luck?

Bobnotch Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Try contacting Jim Adney. He keeps those hoses in stock.

Tram Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I can get Ate hoses through my local VW yokel too (unless that changed in the last month, which is always possible!)