TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1966 Emergency Flasher Switch Knob
Hbfish66 Fri May 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello everybody, I did some research but could only come up with what I feel is not a concrete answer to my question.

What does a 1966 emergency switch knob look like?

I understand that:
1. A 1966 flasher knob is plastic with no rubber on the outside.
2. There is a light inside knob that illuminates when on (pulled).
2. Switch fits a 10mm escutcheon through the dash.

I really am looking for a double check about the accuracy of information I collected. Also is this picture a true 1966 switch?

thanks in advance.

curtis4085 Fri May 01, 2015 6:16 pm

That sounds like my 66 hazards switch

Eric&Barb Fri May 01, 2015 9:22 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277954

Clara Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Yes that is correct for a 66.

my 66 kombi

Hbfish66 Fri May 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Clara wrote: Yes that is correct for a 66.

my 66 kombi

Thank you so much Clara!

BarryL Sat May 02, 2015 9:16 am

Hbfish66 wrote: 2. There is a light inside knob that illuminates when on (pulled).

The bulbs were mostly 6volt unless the bus was delivered with optional 12volt. You will match the bulb to what ever your bus is.

Hbfish66 Sat May 02, 2015 9:19 am

BarryL wrote: Hbfish66 wrote: 2. There is a light inside knob that illuminates when on (pulled).

The bulbs were mostly 6volt unless the bus was delivered with optional 12volt. You will match the bulb to what ever your bus is.

OK, since my bus is going through the 12v conversion it will need a 12v bulb.

Thanks now just to find a knob for sale!!

mikelars Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:18 am

I have a question - I just took apart my 66 emergency light switch, because the knob was not illuminating. So after cleaning everything and reconnecting, the knob now remains lit when the emergency flashers are on, but the knob does not blink with the car lights. The car lights do blink though. Is this correct behavior?

Clara Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:43 pm

mikelars wrote: I have a question - I just took apart my 66 emergency light switch, because the knob was not illuminating. So after cleaning everything and reconnecting, the knob now remains lit when the emergency flashers are on, but the knob does not blink with the car lights. The car lights do blink though. Is this correct behavior?

It should blink alternately with the car lights. I think so, at least. It's really quite wonderful.

Dustin B Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Clara wrote: mikelars wrote: I have a question - I just took apart my 66 emergency light switch, because the knob was not illuminating. So after cleaning everything and reconnecting, the knob now remains lit when the emergency flashers are on, but the knob does not blink with the car lights. The car lights do blink though. Is this correct behavior?

It should blink alternately with the car lights. I think so, at least. It's really quite wonderful.

I just talked with two friends both with 66's and they said there switches blink.

velvetgreen Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:03 pm

yup it should blink

teahead Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 am

Are these switches 1966-only?

My 63 Hazard has a regular silver beige knob with no light.

Eric&Barb Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:06 am

teahead wrote: Are these switches 1966-only?

My 63 Hazard has a regular silver beige knob with no light.

No flashing switch knob till 1966. See previous posts for more info.

nlorntson Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am

teahead wrote: Are these switches 1966-only?

I believe this is a yes.

teahead Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Anyone know what size/type of bulb that's in there?

EverettB Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 pm

A pic of the switch face opened up

Found this ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2349561
It says OSRAM OSR2721

I also found VW part #
N 17 751 2

And this statement
AlanInMass54 wrote: Hello! Also most VW dealers stock N0177512. That is among other things the bulb for the heater controls on a 99.5 - early 05 Jettas and Golfs. 12V 1.2W That'll work for you also.

Diagram:

Tizian Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:50 am

Can anyone shed a light on what this „88“ stands for? Seems to be a mystery for me. I heard several theories and none of them sound reasonable.

One is: the German number eight - acht, which also translates to „Gib Acht“ - "Pay attention“ and this twice.

Another one: It’s not meant to be a number rather than a symbol representing the four flashing light bulbs...

Then there is this - no you don’t really want to read what 88 stands for in German ;-)

Or is it an American DOT related thing since the flashers got mandatory earlier in the US than in Europe?

Schwing Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:42 am

I have heard that 88 represents HH, meaning "Heil Hitler", though I highly doubt thats true. H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. I think in reality 88 must have something to do with attention or caution.

I also noticed absolutely no difference between the emergency switch on a type 1 or type 2. If you are buying, search in the type 1 section of classifieds. If you're selling, do so in the type 2 section. :D

EverettB Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 am

88 thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332837

No real answer though, unless this is it
Antonio Trejo wrote: In German 8 is "acht" and "Atenttion!" means "Achtung!" so "88" means "Achtung! Achtung! or Atenttion! attention!"... my german wife told me that. She worked for Volkswagen AG, in Wolfsburg for 9 years, so may be she is right.
This appears in a couple other threads too, by other members

Another thread says it's the DIN designation for that circuit