TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: installed new 6V Optima - now have a weak spark
71ruby914 Mon May 04, 2015 8:28 am

OG 66. Was running great except the charging system could not keep the 8V battery up. I replaced the PO's NAPA 8v battery with a 6V Optima Red Top.

It cranks strong but won't start. I checked the spark at the coil and it's yellow not blue - seems weak.

What am I missing?

60ragtop Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 am

was the VR setting changed to charge the 8 volt battery?
All the ground straps clean?

71ruby914 Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 am

60ragtop wrote: was the VR setting changed to charge the 8 volt battery?
Forgot to mention that I removed the VR and installed a new 6V VR that PO gave to me still in box.

60ragtop wrote: All the ground straps clean?
I first checked the ground strap at transmission but there is no strap that i can find?

60ragtop Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am

ground strap should be similar to this.
VR on top of the gen?

71ruby914 Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 am

60ragtop wrote:
ground strap should be similar to this.

I used this same photo for reference but didn't see it - will check again tonight.
60ragtop wrote:
VR on top of the gen?
yes, VR on top of generator

71ruby914 Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Confirmed I do have a ground strap on tranny. May have found the issue - reading 6.1v at battery, 6.1v between battery + and ground strap on tranny, 5.6v between b+ on VR and ground wire on coil, and only 4.5v between positive and negative on coil.

Not sure where but sounds like a bad ground somewhere.

Eric&Barb Mon May 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Remove, clean, apply dielectric grease to both battery cables on both ends of each cable. Do same with body to transaxle ground cable.

Get new cables if there is any question about the old ones, especially if there are those bolt on battery cable ends clamped onto what is left of the old cables.

Below image is bad sign because battery acid will get between clamp and cable end, resulting in corrosion..