TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel pump and intermediate flange
Naughtrick Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 am

While trying to resurrect my 66, I have run into another problem. The engine turns over fine, but I am not getting fuel to the carb.
I checked the push rod travel at the fuel pump, it's okay. I did find that the intermediate flange is broken, and the tapered end is stuck in the engine. I have ordered a new pump and flange, but have 2 questions:
how to remove the broken part of the flange, and could the fuel delivery issue be traced to another source?
Rick

grandpa pete Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 am

have you considered an electric fuel pump to bypass your troubles

$45 at autozone....the RED one....Mr Gasket 42s

Possible troubles ; junk in tank ; filter IN tank clogged ; In line filter clogged ; fuel line squashed under car ; metal line in tunnel damaged

60ragtop Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502179&highlight=broken+fuel+pump+flange

Naughtrick Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll try the removal method as soon as I can, and I already ordered the replacement fuel pump. If I am still not getting fuel with the new pump, I'll check the other issues.

rcroane Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 am

Be sure to check the pressure of your new pump. Many of the aftermarket ones approach 10 psi.

Naughtrick Tue May 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Today's update:
Removed broken flange piece thanks to posters. Replaced fuel pump and flange; still no fuel to carb. Re-checked stroke on fuel pump push rod, 8mm-13mm as per books.
Removed gas tank, replaced all fuel hoses at tank and engine. Reinstalled tank, checked pump again, nothing. Removed hose to pump, siphoned gas from tank, no problem. I'm stuck.
Any other suggestions?

grandpa pete Tue May 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Just another thought :
We had a problem with a friends bug dying out and it was the vent hole in the gas cap was plugged .....

grvwsic Tue May 12, 2015 2:58 pm

check that your fuel line connection is correct at the fuel pump... switch the lines at the fuel pump. Start the car and see if you get any flow.

I had this issue and this was the fix.

Good Luck

Naughtrick Tue May 12, 2015 5:36 pm

I tried reversing the lines at the pump, no change.
I discovered the PO had a screw plugging the venting hose on the tank filler neck, and removed that.
I do get fuel when I siphon, but it stops flowing while I'm gagging. Should it keep flowing?

bluebus86 Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 pm

don't forget to safety wire the pump and carb as detailed in link on bottom of my post. When working on the fuel system it is a good time to do it. save your car from fire!!!!

Dr OnHolliday Wed May 13, 2015 7:23 am

Naughtrick wrote: ....I do get fuel when I siphon, but it stops flowing while I'm gagging. Should it keep flowing?

Only if the top surface of the gas in the tank is higher than the outlet line. This circumstance is also a problem when you run out of gas....heaven forbid that the car is pointing downhill....

Naughtrick Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 am

So, after more searching through the archives, I followed one suggestion to bypass the tank and lines by using an external gas source. Still nothing, not a drop. I have tried with the old and new fuel pumps.
I'm stumped...

Miklo Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 am

What pump and fuel rod combination are you using?

mukluk Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 am

Clarification question, is the fuel pump not pumping any gas out (verfied by cranking the engine with the hose to the carb disconnected), or are you just not getting fuel into the carb bowl?

If the former, try blowing back through the fueline as the inlet inside the tank may be obstructed. If the latter, your float needle valve is plugged up.

Naughtrick Wed May 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the help folks. Problem solved.
I had a friend who is way more knowledgeable than me drop by today, he suggests the carb float is stuck, preventing any fuel to the carb. He takes the carb apart, cleans everything up, we put everything back together, and she starts first try.
I didn't think the carb would stop the flow from the pump until the hose to the carb was full, but apparently I was wrong.
Thanks again, Rick