TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Squareback engine
TyGuy3 Wed May 06, 2015 11:37 am

I want to convert my squareback into a water-cooled car and wall off the back, what types of engines could I put in my '71 squareback? I want the entire back of my car to be a big engine with taking out the very back windows and modding the front to incorporate a radiator. I've seen squarebacks with engines in the front but I think it would be cool to have the engine in the back. Any advice or seen any squarebacks like that?

KTPhil Wed May 06, 2015 11:48 am

Maybe check the abortions thread? :twisted:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149769

Nate M. Wed May 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Back in the mid-80s, I saw a car that I've never forgotten. It was a 412 wagon (similar to our type3s) that was built on a tube chassis. It was chopped 4" and had limo tinted rear glass. In the back it housed a Toranado 455ci V8 and transaxle!! The guy had the radiator mounted behind the front seats and the entire rear of the car was motor/trans. . . Freakin' crazy!!

The only things that will stop you is your skills, pocketbook or your imagination. . .

Bobnotch Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Nate M. wrote: Back in the mid-80s, I saw a car that I've never forgotten. It was a 412 wagon (similar to our type3s) that was built on a tube chassis. It was chopped 4" and had limo tinted rear glass. In the back it housed a Toranado 455ci V8 and transaxle!! The guy had the radiator mounted behind the front seats and the entire rear of the car was motor/trans. . . Freakin' crazy!!

The only things that will stop you is your skills, pocketbook or your imagination. . .

Then there is that guy with the 68 "pick up truck (Norm Roberts), that was on the cover of Trends and HVWs , with the 455 olds motor and Automatic transaxle (fwd) with the radiator in front.

If you want to be more stelthy, go with an old school TDI engine, or 1 of those GM tech 4 engines like someone on here was working a few years ago (also owns a bus with 1 in it).

blues90 Wed May 06, 2015 7:54 pm

I saw a bug in the 60's where the fellow chopped a chevy frame to fit the bug and had a 396 V8 in front and the radiator in front . He made the rad grill in the two lower VW frunck panels but he sat in the back seat.

The closest I ever came was when I had a 1964 Ford Econoline van that only came with a 170 CI 6 cyl . I got a 289 V8 made a new cover about mid ship made up a floor shifter front a Hurst and long rods shortened the drive shaft and made the engine lid look lie a table and used it as one . No more engine between the front seat just a nice flat floor.

notchback Wed May 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Nate M. wrote: Back in the mid-80s, I saw a car that I've never forgotten. It was a 412 wagon (similar to our type3s) that was built on a tube chassis. It was chopped 4" and had limo tinted rear glass. In the back it housed a Toranado 455ci V8 and transaxle!! The guy had the radiator mounted behind the front seats and the entire rear of the car was motor/trans. . . Freakin' crazy!!

Then there is that guy with the 68 "pick up truck (Norm Roberts), that was on the cover of Trends and HVWs , with the 455 olds motor and Automatic transaxle (fwd) with the radiator in front.

If you want to be more stelthy, go with an old school TDI engine, or 1 of those GM tech 4 engines like someone on here was working a few years ago (also owns a bus with 1 in it).

The secret with Norm's truck is that he started with a fastback. What a perfect use for a parts car.

tanhis Thu May 07, 2015 2:23 am

Search for Subaru engine conversions you could get up to 300hp of factory power and its a BOXER engine.