TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus generator vs bug generator?
missmybus Fri May 08, 2015 6:17 am

This question comes from my father in-law who is in the process of having my bus engine rebuilt. Sorry if the question is elementary and if you need more clarification, let me know.
"Is the bus generator the same as the bug generator? More specifically, Is the 6 volt, remote regulator, bus generator the same as the same bug generator? As used on the 1967 optional 1500 cc motor?"

Thanks!

Lind Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 am

missmybus wrote: This question comes from my father in-law who is in the process of having my bus engine rebuilt. Sorry if the question is elementary and if you need more clarification, let me know.
"Is the bus generator the same as the bug generator? More specifically, Is the 6 volt, remote regulator, bus generator the same as the same bug generator? As used on the 1967 optional 1500 cc motor?"

Thanks!
1967 is 12 volt for all USA spec VWs.

1500 engines were standard on all USA spec bugs and buses in '67.

1966 has a large diameter 6V generator that is the same size and shape as a 12V bug generator.

type 1 engined bay buses use a longer generator which has a correspondingly different piece of tin and fan hub.

Clara Fri May 08, 2015 7:31 am

Lind wrote: missmybus wrote: This question comes from my father in-law who is in the process of having my bus engine rebuilt. Sorry if the question is elementary and if you need more clarification, let me know.

Thanks!
1967 is 12 volt for all USA spec VWs.

1500 engines were standard on all USA spec bugs and buses in '67.

1966 has a large diameter 6V generator that is the same size and shape as a 12V bug generator.

type 1 engined bay buses use a longer generator which has a correspondingly different piece of tin and fan hub.

Not all type1 engine bay buses used the 38A gen.
The 38A gen is longer and uses a specific gen pulley, and of course it needs a 38A VR. I would not use it on a split bus, because replacement parts are harder to find, and also someone with a 71 wants it more than I do.

For a 67 bus, I would suggest a 12V 30A generator.
this: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS%2DGR15N Same as used on bugs.

For my 66 bus, I left it 12V as per a previous owners conversion, and used a 30A 12V generator. The VR is just forward of the air cleaner.

If it was 6V, I would have used the large 6V gen with regulator that sits off to the side.

What year is the bus the engine is being buildt for?

crofty Fri May 08, 2015 7:39 am

I run the 38 amp gen in my '65 and have for years.

It also has unique backing plate tin.

BarryL Fri May 08, 2015 11:41 am

missmybus wrote: Is the 6 volt, remote regulator, bus generator the same as the same bug generator?

This part of the question is "yes" the actual large 105mm diameter 6 volt generator is the same size, output, wiring, and part number.

missmybus wrote: As used on the 1967 optional 1500 cc motor

This part is where it gets confusing as '67 would be large 105mm diameter 12 volt generator.

Not sure if large diameter 6 volt generators officially came on a Beetle but there is no difference even if they didn't.

Someone could have installed one as you say with the remote regulator under the seat as normal for the large diameter 6 volt generator if that is what he means.

crofty Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Wasn't the 1500cc the standard in '67 for both bus and bug US spec cars?

Clara Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 pm

crofty wrote: Wasn't the 1500cc the standard in '67 for both bus and bug US spec cars?
I believe so.

BarryL Sat May 23, 2015 9:51 am

crofty wrote: I run the 38 amp gen in my '65 and have for years.

It also has unique backing plate tin.

If you use the backing plate tins and all the hardware that shims and holds the fan, is it a direct swap?

I figure you use the correct fan for the matching shroud, correct?

Do you have the 38 amp regulator or are you using the 30 amp?

Eric&Barb Sat May 23, 2015 10:52 am

BarryL wrote:

Fan and tin must match. Shrouds are same width....

BarryL Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: BarryL wrote:

So for an OG shroud with oil cooler inside the shroud you'd use the fan that came with that shroud, right? And that will bolt right up with the 38 amp?

Eric&Barb Sat May 23, 2015 10:02 pm

BarryL wrote: Eric&Barb wrote: BarryL wrote:

So for an OG shroud with oil cooler inside the shroud you'd use the fan that came with that shroud, right? And that will bolt right up with the 38 amp?

No, one would need to use the right fan for the gen and gen tin. If you used the older thinner fan you would have too much clearance and loss of air flow. Better to have more air flow with the bigger 33 mm fan.

BarryL Mon May 25, 2015 4:30 pm

Ok. I tried this.

To use the '69 one-year-only 38amp longer generator it won't work in the original through-1967 cooler-in-shroud unless you use the narrow fan that came with the original shroud. It will work in all shrouds, even early 36 horse, but you must use the fan that came mated to the shroud.

Most important is you must use the one-year-only '69 generator fan hub and all the washers. The nut is the same.

Eric&Barb wrote: Shrouds are same width....
Shroud where it matches cylinder tin is the same but the venturi flat landing part is not the same, it is narrower in the earlier shrouds.