TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: right front rotor scraping dust shield
typ drei fasty Mon May 11, 2015 5:02 pm

All,

I replaced my front wheel bearings recently and now I'm getting scraping on the right against the dust shield. It only happens when turning hard left, like when pulling into a parking spot. I've double checked the wheel bearing adjustment and attempted to adjust/bend the dust shield, but it's still happening. Should i keep trying to adjust/bend the dust shield? Anything else I could or should be checking? Thanks for any advice.

Bobnotch Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 pm

typ drei fasty wrote: All,

I replaced my front wheel bearings recently and now I'm getting scraping on the right against the dust shield. It only happens when turning hard left, like when pulling into a parking spot. I've double checked the wheel bearing adjustment and attempted to adjust/bend the dust shield, but it's still happening. Should i keep trying to adjust/bend the dust shield? Anything else I could or should be checking? Thanks for any advice.

What year is your type 3? It almost sounds like you have a wrong bearing in place (not sure if it's inner or outer though).

typ drei fasty Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Sorry, its a 71. Replaced inner and outer bearings on both sides in front. No issues so far on drivers side.

blues90 Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 pm

I'd go with what Bob said . If it was not rubbing before then two things 1) somehow the shield was bent which I doubt or 2) you need to make certain that that side has the proper bearings . The only way to know is compare the side that's rubbing with the old ones if you still have them and if not compare them with the side that is not rubbing . You may have got one that was boxed wrong .

typ drei fasty Tue May 26, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for the feedback. As suggested, it appears that it was a bearing issue. I replaced both bearings and races and no more scraping. I didn't have the old parts and couldn't really tell any difference between the parts I had in to the newest parts, but clearly there was some difference.

Thanks as always for the help!