TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Chrome yellow?
Jmack223 Sat May 16, 2015 12:17 am

hey guys I have a 1977 Chrome yellow bus and just wondering where to find some chrome yellow paint, or rattle cans close the this original colour.

thanks!

EverettB Sat May 16, 2015 8:17 am

In the past people have said they got matching spray cans from www.Towerpaint.com and www.Paintscratch.com

I don't specifically know if they carry those colors but check out those 2 sites.

If you have a Sherwin Williams paint store locally, they also do spray cans.
It may or may not have to be one of their automotive paint places.
I think that varies by area.

Mike Fisher Sat May 16, 2015 12:12 pm

We used the acrylic lacquer paint & clear coat spray cans from www.towerpaint.com with good results.

RONIN10 Mon May 18, 2015 7:49 am

I did some work on this last spring/summer after my bus was hit. I'm cutting and pasting some of my notes/comments from elsewhere:

Quote: I received a bit of unfortunate feedback from Huddleson's. Turns out that the DuPont code 43300/433-00 (i.e. VW L20A Chrome Yellow) doesn't exist anymore. I did a bunch of follow up research, spoke to the local Wesco rep and confirmed this to be true. It seems that 43300 was part of DuPont's Centari product line which has since been discontinued and the paint code was not reformulated with any of their current product lines.

So where does this leave me? Huddleson's is apparently a DuPont only shop. I don't know how strong of a limitation that is at the moment, as they're trying to find a crossover code for PPG 2687. Still, I don't think it would be that hard to run down to the local Wesco and pick up a quart of the PPG 2687 and the necessary additional component and shoot that.

On a positive note, I did find L20A touch up paint in my searches. Not sure how good this is, but it's an option anyway.

ETA: Huddleson's was able to find a crossover code via the PPG code.

I never found out the DuPont code number. And the L20A I reference can be located here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Volkswagen/1976-Volkswagen-Bus-Chrome-Yellow-L20A.html