TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fly Wheel specifications
Bertha A Leppo Mon May 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Does anyone know what the specifications are for a flywheel from a 1966 vw bug. I want to turn mine and the machinest ask if I knew what the specs would be. He wants to check to see if it is within specs before he starts to machine it for me. I have searched but have not been able to find anything. My car is a 6 volt with 180mm clutch. Please provide me some numbers or where I can get this information. I do not want to buy another flywheel unless I have to.

Dougy Dee Mon May 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Are you resurfacing or lightening?

Resurfacing: clean up the grip surface and an equal amount where the PP bolts to.

Lightening: Remove around the perimeter and under the ring gear.

Other than that...What specs does he need?

modok Mon May 18, 2015 5:45 pm

older flywheels the step distance is 24.0-24.1mm

later ones (1600) are 21.0-21.1mm

Bertha A Leppo Wed May 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Yes this is what I am looking to do;

Resurfacing: clean up the grip surface and an equal amount where the PP bolts to.

This is the measurement that I am looking for my flywheel

Just want to make sure the flywheel is in spec for a 66. Can you tell me also the thickness of the clutch lining as well?

Bruce Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Bertha A Leppo wrote: Yes this is what I am looking to do;

This is the wrong way to do it.
Machine the disc surface until it's cleaned up. Then cut the deck down to 24.0mm like Modok specified.

Bajaman65 Wed May 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Bruce wrote: Bertha A Leppo wrote: Yes this is what I am looking to do;

This is the wrong way to do it.
Machine the disc surface until it's cleaned up. Then cut the deck down to 24.0mm like Modok specified.

X2