TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 20 minute garbage rear speaker shelf.
Touche' Shea Tue May 19, 2015 3:07 am

I got a kick out of how quick i mocked this up yesterday, and not to disappointed with results. Especially since the 20 minutes time worked on it, included finding the materials in a dumpster while walking my dog.

Starting materials;
apx 60x30 piece of thin underlayment/wood board.
1x half of a rotted jacuzzi cover. Yes.

For those who have seen jacuzzi covers (i never had, my dad had to tell me what it was, i thought it was a part of a pool table) they have a padded vinyl trim around the entire cover, and so that is the vinyl trim you see here.
I cut the board to rough dimensions I saw here, 36x46x12.5 and sprayed some flat black paint. I then stripped the vinyl edging, and removed some of the wood template it had covered to fit the shelf nicely, I then salvaged padding and vinyl and re-stapled it tightly around the curved piece. Followed up by spraying with red duplicolor vinyl dye ( bought like 9 cans for 40 bucks a while ago). I had a previously hand drawn vw logo on a manilla folder I quickly cut into a stencil and sprayed the half ass logo on the board. Complete :) for those who don't know how to draw the logo, just draw two circles rough .5 apart from eachother (using a compass of course) and then find true center in horizontal/vertical (a centered cross in the circle) then measure 48 degrees for the top of the "v" and for the "w" at the bottom, rest is self explanatory.

Obviously some cosmetic touch ups will be applied to fancy it up.

Air-Cooled Head Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am

Nice job. =D>
So now, when you want some speakers back there, you won't worry about cutting.