TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I found some old louvered trim rings today. Tell me more!
Cal-Neva speed shop Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Hey guys, so I was at an estate auction last weekend and I saw some old trim rings sitting in the dirt. Being a Vw guy, I noticed them and thought that they were neat but didn't know exactly if they were Vw or not. I was there to buy some vintage 30's Ford parts and I didn't think I'd buy Vw parts at a Ford collectors home. However, the estate auction did have some Vw contents but nothing substantial to confirm my guess that they were a Vw part. The trim rings were a part of a huge lot of Model A Ford parts, so you had to buy everything which I did not have the means to do so, so I passed on them. However I found out that the winner of that auction lot was a scrapper. I didn't think anything of it until I got home that night on Saturday and I just couldn't stop thinking that if they are original Vw or Porsche trim rings, that their ultimate fate was going to be melted down into scrap metal which would of made me sick. So today I decided to go back out to the house where the auction took place to see if the trim rings were still there or not. Well, when I got to the house, I went to the area where they were and sure enough the scrapper left them in the dirt. I got in contact with the owner of the auction company and they just gave them to me because they were just going to be thrown away since the scrapper didn't pick them up. I was very pleased to see they were still there and it didn't cost me anything. However I go them home and they definitely appear to be Vw or Porsche trim rings, I just do not see any markings on them. Does anybody know who made these, or are they for Vw's or Porsches? They are for 15" wheels and are louvered trim rings. I definitely like the look of them but am curious about the history on them. There is two left and two right trim rings. They seem like they are directional. Are they rare? Any info on these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

c21darrel Wed May 20, 2015 3:05 pm

almost like these 1500 rings...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1243467

banana split Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Not much info but an old thread :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270251&highlight=turbine

EverettB Wed May 20, 2015 11:02 pm

banana split wrote: Not much info but an old thread :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270251&highlight=turbine

Yes, these were my thought too - are they Porsche directional rings?

If so, they are pretty valuable.

Richard Roth Thu May 21, 2015 7:58 am

The Pre-A Porsche rings are 16".

Cal-Neva speed shop Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 am

Richard Roth wrote: The Pre-A Porsche rings are 16".

I know, these are very similar to them but in a 15".

j-sou Fri May 22, 2015 12:56 pm

saw this thread and remembered that I had snapped this pic in "The Vault" at the Petersen Museum. 16" wheel.

janerick3 Sun May 24, 2015 4:27 pm

I believe these are 1950s accessory trim rings for a 4J x 15 VW rim. They will not fit 4 1/2 J x 15 356 rims, as the offset is different.

These may be marked on the flat area just inside of the valve stem hole with "L" or "R," the manufacturer's logo ("CK" inside a circle) and a single digit (representing the year of manufacture?).

Other manufacturers (e.g., Happich) may have also produced and/or marketed these "turbo" rings.

IN2VWS Sun May 24, 2015 11:48 pm

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239498