TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front wheel bearing
60 baja Thu May 21, 2015 3:15 pm

So i got stuck on the side of the road in my baja yesterday because my wheel bearing on the front passenger side self destructed. Once i got it towed home i discovered this.

Now my question is how the hell do i pull off the drum without destroying anything? Any tips?

60 baja Thu May 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Also, i have a king and link front end.

Brian Thu May 21, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm gonna assume you already tried pulling the drum straight off?

60 baja Thu May 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Ya, it feels stuck on there and i loosend the shoes and it did nothing

60 baja Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Also, how do i tell the year that this drum was made?

Dale M. Thu May 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Part number inside..... But you got to get it off first....

If inner race is frozen on spindle you may have to use cold chisel and crack it to get it to release... And good possibility spindle may be somewhat damaged...

Dale

dustymojave Thu May 21, 2015 8:30 pm

The outboard face of the inner race looks like it was spinning against the thrust washer and thus on the spindle shank. So the spindle and inner race are probably friction welded together. Almost certain you're gonna have to bust that race off the spindle. Some sort of drum puller might get the bearing off the race. There's a risk of warping the drum though. Then a cold chisel, maybe started with a die grinder with a cut-off wheel. Just don't cut or chisel into the spindle.

As far as year of the drum...I would say 58-65. They should interchange bearing OK.

60 baja Fri May 22, 2015 5:31 pm

So is this spindle toast or what?

dustymojave Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Uhhh...Yup!

Mike Sal Mon May 25, 2015 6:36 am

Agree that spindle is a goner. Seems awful greasy in there....wonder if it was over greased to begin with or if it got boiled out when the bearings started overheating. Clean those brake shoes before you put it back together.

dustymojave Mon May 25, 2015 11:41 am

I suggest that you replace those brake shoes. Looking close at the lower shoe shows quite a bit of grease on it. At the very least, use plenty of brake cleaner on it. when you finish cleaning the shoes, sprinkle them with a little corn starch or baby powder. it will show if there is any moisture. If you can't clean off ALL the moisture...REPLACE THEM FOR SURE! The springs, etc. are OK once cleaned. Those look like later wider shoes, which is good if the drums are cut to fit.

enjoyther1de Mon May 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Ouch! That's a bummer.

spize909 Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm

I have a set of spindles for sale in the for sale section if you need one. I'll make you a good deal on them.