TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Yet another camper conversion (Rivi) Q:
Marya Thu May 21, 2015 5:43 pm

There is an outlet in my camper that goes to the outside (120 V?). On the interior wall panel next to the outlet there is a switch (not sure why - maybe to reset if necessary?). Behind said outlet - attached to the back - is this white square piece that needs to be replaced. It seems to be a circuit breaker / power reset button thingie.

Anyone know what it's called and best place to find another one like it?

Thanks!

FlatfourFrenchy Fri May 22, 2015 3:01 am

It is a circuit protector. I suppose you could disassemble a power strip and take it out to use but I am not sure of the overload protection ratings. I have seen the pass thru boxes for sale in the classified but they are usually Westfalia.

tristessa Fri May 22, 2015 6:56 am

Maybe take it out of teh panel and see if the folks at Oregon Breakers down on SE 17th can help with it...?

scrivyscriv Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 am

Yep, that circuit breaker has definitely done broke.

Here's one that should fit... scroll down, the one you want is the 15A version. It's about $6USD at the time of this post. The panel itself has a D-shaped hole for your breaker to align to so you would need to drill the hole out for this new breaker to work.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr3.php

May I state the obvious - don't be tempted to just bypass the jacked up breaker and go straight to the receptacle. Whatever external power source you hook up to for power will have a circuit protective device, but it's almost guaranteed to be a 20A breaker. 20 amps is too much for the bus AC wiring, which is all rated at 15A.

Marya Thu May 28, 2015 4:01 pm

FlatfourFrenchy wrote: It is a circuit protector. I suppose you could disassemble a power strip and take it out to use but I am not sure of the overload protection ratings. I have seen the pass thru boxes for sale in the classified but they are usually Westfalia.

Thank you FlatfourFrenchy!

Marya Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

tristessa wrote: Maybe take it out of teh panel and see if the folks at Oregon Breakers down on SE 17th can help with it...?

Thanks Hal! My fam and I saw you driving down MLK yesterday evening, probably on your way home? We were going into Guardian Games since Tor's all into Magic the Gathering. ;)

Marya Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Robert - I'm on that site right now looking it up. Thank you very much! And also thanks for the extra warning which someone like me could always use!!!

scrivyscriv wrote: Yep, that circuit breaker has definitely done broke.

Here's one that should fit... scroll down, the one you want is the 15A version. It's about $6USD at the time of this post. The panel itself has a D-shaped hole for your breaker to align to so you would need to drill the hole out for this new breaker to work.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr3.php

May I state the obvious - don't be tempted to just bypass the jacked up breaker and go straight to the receptacle. Whatever external power source you hook up to for power will have a circuit protective device, but it's almost guaranteed to be a 20A breaker. 20 amps is too much for the bus AC wiring, which is all rated at 15A.