TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Photo Request - heater control cables
45jim Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Could someone please post a photo of the components required to retain the heater control cables under the dash. I have a '78 bay and the cables were held together with some bailing wire and i need some reference photos to find the parts that should be there. The parts manual photos just aren't descriptive enough.

Thanks

Brian Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 pm

I tired and tried to search Google to find what you're looking for. I can get you a picture of an early bay in a few though.

busdaddy Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm far too lazy to peruse each of these threads, but someone must have posted at least one photo of what you are looking for: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

rockerarm Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 pm

WELCOME Jim.
As I recall my dealer days, the black sheath of the heater cable is retained to the framing behind the plastic dash with a weird shaped clip. The metal, moving, cable is angled and engages the lever's hole and retained with the little soft sprung spring clip, which maybe very similar to the retainer clip on the type 1 engine thermostat parts.
I could be off here but lets see what others say.
Hope this helps, Bill.

jtauxe Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 am

So, no photo (that is a hard place to get a photo of, actually) but here is a description:
The four cables (two heater controls and two fresh air controls) are attached to the control levers, and head down and forward directly to a little rack, or cradle, where each sits nicely, securing the sheath while the cables move within the secured sheath. Having the sheaths secures is critical to proper operation of the cables.

So, put them in the little rack, side by side. You will see how they have to fit to keep the sheath from moving up or down.

What you are probably missing (many buses are) is the little clip that holds all four cables tightly in the rack. The clip is also critical -- I cannot think of any other way to hold these in place. Baling wire will not do. Clips can sometimes be found in junkyard buses (one of the things that I always look for). I know of no aftermarket versions.

notchboy Fri May 22, 2015 8:04 am

As seen in my 74 Bus.

45jim Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm

that last photo showing that weird little clip is what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting that, extremely helpful. Now the search begins!

jtauxe Thu May 28, 2015 8:27 pm

That is correct, and in that last photo the cables are mis-aligned as well. They should sit with the shoulders on the tubes sitting within the cage with the semicircle cutouts. Then the clip goes over the four cables to hold them in place, in their cradle. Except in that photo I see only 3 cables... that's odd.

You might try BustedBus or TheBusCo for this NLA part.

rockerarm Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Jim. I briefly viewed a couple of vw sites for that clip and it may not be available. But, it looks very similar, if not identical to the spring clip used on the thermostat regulators on the upright motor. They used two styles of clips at that location. There was a similar clip used on the plastic roller for the later bug throttle pedals. I am not aware of where you are but possibly I can locate, in my stash, or locally here in SoCal.
I hope this helps, Bill.

SGKent Fri May 29, 2015 11:20 am

ken madsen at busco should have one

JohnnyDemonic Fri May 29, 2015 2:58 pm

jtauxe wrote: That is correct, and in that last photo the cables are mis-aligned as well. They should sit with the shoulders on the tubes sitting within the cage with the semicircle cutouts. Then the clip goes over the four cables to hold them in place, in their cradle. Except in that photo I see only 3 cables... that's odd.

I have a 78 & it only has 3 cables... 1 for each of the dash controls

chabanais Sat May 30, 2015 12:05 pm

This is my Gordian Knot.

jtauxe Sat May 30, 2015 1:33 pm

JohnnyDemonic wrote: jtauxe wrote: That is correct, and in that last photo the cables are mis-aligned as well. They should sit with the shoulders on the tubes sitting within the cage with the semicircle cutouts. Then the clip goes over the four cables to hold them in place, in their cradle. Except in that photo I see only 3 cables... that's odd.

The buses I have worked with have 4 cables, so I wonder which is which. In my experience, there are three knobs, but one serves a dual purpose, operating first the flapper between floor and flapper, and then second, the valve to the rear passenger air vent. It's actually very clever how these things work, but tye definitely will not work right without the cables properly secured in this cradle dealie.

notchboy Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 pm

jtauxe wrote: JohnnyDemonic wrote: jtauxe wrote: That is correct, and in that last photo the cables are mis-aligned as well. They should sit with the shoulders on the tubes sitting within the cage with the semicircle cutouts. Then the clip goes over the four cables to hold them in place, in their cradle. Except in that photo I see only 3 cables... that's odd.

The buses I have worked with have 4 cables, so I wonder which is which. In my experience, there are three knobs, but one serves a dual purpose, operating first the flapper between floor and flapper, and then second, the valve to the rear passenger air vent. It's actually very clever how these things work, but tye definitely will not work right without the cables properly secured in this cradle dealie.

Unmolested as seen in my 74 Westfalia these pictures are. The one cable that is not seated is in fact ceased up a bit. This picture was taken prior to it being cleaned, then put back in its cradle then clasping the retainer clip.

If your cable is fouled up - this will happen - pulling the cable sleeve out of the cradle allowing you to think its working somewhat when it is not.