TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Help....Front Brake/Air Ride Mix Match Question
NDAHAUS Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 am

Okay, so I am in the process of putting air ride on my 73 Square. I had a type 1 link pin air beam built for my car. I put on EMPI 22-2950 2.5" link pin style drop spindles that are made for disc brakes. However, my friend discovered that my stock 73 calipers do not bolt up to the spindles. I believe I have to by type 1 calipers (57mm bolt spacing). Another question I have though, is do I also have to buy different rotors or can I use the ones I currently have?

Nate M. Sat May 23, 2015 9:54 am

The beam is a Beetle. The spindles are for a Beetle. The brake calipers are for a Beetle. Therefore the rotors are also for a Beetle.

NDAHAUS Sat May 23, 2015 10:40 am

I understand that, but from what I am finding online....I find two different tales. Some places say it's the same rotor for the Beetle and the Square. Was just wondering if anybody can confirm.

Bobnotch Sat May 23, 2015 9:35 pm

NDAHAUS wrote: I understand that, but from what I am finding online....I find two different tales. Some places say it's the same rotor for the Beetle and the Square. Was just wondering if anybody can confirm.

66 to 71 type 3 rotors are the same as 67 to 74 Ghia rotors. 72 and 73 t-3 rotors are the same as t-4 rotors, and are slightly larger in diameter.

What you have to watch out for, are the inner bearing and race sizes, as VW changed them in mid 68, but still used the same rotor.