TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: vintage OEM Car Top Carrier?
Brokensprocket Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 am

I recently obtained a soft car top carrier from a reputable enthusiast. He says it's a OEM VW vintage unit that is very hard to come by. I'm happy with the deal we made so it won't kill me if it is not OEM. Someone told me it probably wasn't until he heard where I got it. Then said, "Well he would know". So I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this unit.

Brian Sun May 24, 2015 11:35 am

I would say not OEM, but cool at the very least. From what I understand, most "OEM" stuff is fitting, that looks adjustable.

Brokensprocket Sun May 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks, I like it. It has a nice vintage appeal and it's in good shape. He said it is made to go one way for a bus and sideways for a bug. The corner you see that folds over and straps has another one like it only it folds toward that one so the air wouldn't catch it either way you install it. It looks way cool sitting on top of my single cab.

60ragtop Mon May 25, 2015 6:03 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554937&highlight=
I have one also but they are not OEM VW. they were sold by most major automotive stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards ETC. they were universal and came with different mounting brackets.
Cool accessory to have :)

Brokensprocket Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks for the link. I'm hoping it still has some good rides left in it. DM

Danwvw Wed May 27, 2015 4:35 pm

"Brokensprocket" Interesting User Name! Where did you come up with that! Good to see you on The Samba! Your Friend Dan

Danwvw Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

"Woodburn" Cost $15 to just get in! Maybe if I were closer. Portland it like 300 miles! I would enjoy it though. So what are your intentions for this little white elephant Accessorie above? Not really something I would want! But It could come in handy if I had a lot of camping gear to set up for some kind of large group or something. Just not very pretty though! Kind of reminds me of what Stranded on the way to ALASKA! ie HastaAlaska has on that Rig he is driving from Chili to Alaska.

Brokensprocket Thu May 28, 2015 7:14 am

I got it in a trade. Right now it looks cool on top of the single cab. No plans for it although it will keep stuff dry in the pick up if we go shopping. Thinking about getting the single cab on the road. We are off to woodburn tomorrow. DM

Danwvw Thu May 28, 2015 8:56 am

It would be nice to see a photo of it on the 60 --->"Single Cab 1960 waiting to be put back on the road". Wow. Woodburn! That will get you going for sure. If your missing any parts for your engine rebuild on the single cab maybe you can find them.

59panel Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm

thats a karpak roof carrier. look on ebay theres a few catalogs and brochures.