TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bleeding flare at the caliper
swamvan Wed May 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a leak on the flared connection that enters the front caliper of my van. When I press on the brake it wheeps. Tried tightening it with no luck, on one occasion I removed and re tightened and made it worse, another remove and re tighten got it back to how it was.

Inspecting the line I see no holes anywhere. I put the air compressor on it and also don't see any air leaks. My guess is that the problem is the actual flare that isn't seating properly somehow. Leak doesn't come from the threads but from the hole where the line goes into the little bolt.

Is there anything that can be done for an old line to make it good again or must it be replaced? Don't have a flaring or cutting tool so can it be found pre-fabricated?

skills@eurocarsplus Wed May 27, 2015 5:46 pm

over compressed. replace it

scrivyscriv Wed May 27, 2015 6:11 pm

try this place

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Metal-Brake-Line-7-5-190mm-113-611-763A-p/113-611-763a.htm

that's not the part you need but they have a full list of brake lines

swamvan Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Unfortunately I can't order stuff online. It looks like a good resource though.

Id be happy knowing if its common to find this little brake line pre-made without having to do all the flaring and stuff yourself. Lots of VW shops around here but I wanna hear your input before I go hunting.

SGKent Wed May 27, 2015 7:59 pm

get one from a donor. Always use the special wrench on brake lines and not just an open end - it ovals the flare fitting.

borninabus Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 pm

you can find 3/16" hard brake lines at NAPA if you live ine the USofA
10x1mm thread. bubble flare.
it's sold in 10" increments from 10" to 50".

swamvan Wed May 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Alright dudes, I'll see what I can find out there. Wish me luck!

skills@eurocarsplus Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 am

dare I ask why you cant shop on line?

71whitewesty Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 pm

I just had the same problem and did as suggested this morning. I went to Napa and for $4 had a new flared line. They had them down to 8" in length and that's what I used on my front caliper. Easy, cheap and back in business.

swamvan Thu May 28, 2015 4:56 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: dare I ask why you cant shop on line?

No credit card!

No problems finding a new line. It's in place and so far no leaks, hope to God it stays that way. Have only tightened the fittings snuggly more or less, how much should I tighten them without over torquing them?

TomWesty Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I guess til they don't leak.

swamvan Thu May 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Alrighty, sounds good then! Will keep an eye for leaks after I test drive it around the block.