TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bay all over the road
Robert Ottolia Thu May 28, 2015 4:42 pm

just install new steering box TWR,not a rebuilt one,new tie rods,ball joints,and she is hard to keep on a straight line,new tires front end has been align.,73 camper in mint condition

Brian Thu May 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Did you tighten everything down? And who did the alignment?

Wildthings Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm

How tight are your new ball joints. There has been a problem with ball joints being so tight they keep the steering from returning normally. Also I don't like the recommended method for setting the camber. IMO it is best to always have the mark on the camber adjusters within 45° of straight ahead. This may not allow you to bring the camber itself quite into spec, but will give you more caster so the steering will tend to center more strongly. What you want to do it get the camber to be the same on both sides (even if out of spec) while maximizing the caster. Also have your toe in rechecked. The spec works out to 1/8" +/- 1/8" at the tire tread IIRC, this is actually very easy to check and/or set yourself using instructions you can find here on The Samba or elsewhere online.

Incorrect tire pressure will also cause steering problems, you want around 30 psi in the front and 40 in the rear, check the stick on your steering column bracket to see what is recommended.

richparker Thu May 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Was the box centered when installed and did you get a 4 wheel alignment?

I just had a rebuilt box installed, ball joints and drag link installed. After a 4 wheel alignment it drove strait as a arrow.

cmonSTART Thu May 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Disregard.

timvw7476 Thu May 28, 2015 6:17 pm

There are three adjustment points, 2 upper eccentrics & threaded right tie rod
Should be like aligning an old RWDamerican car,only quicker & shimless.
If this bus has all this new/rebuilt stuff, wouldn't that leave the drag link
joints & relay arm pin as suspect?

Skoolieman Thu May 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Maybe a dumb question but did you lube the box after installation?

richparker Thu May 28, 2015 6:56 pm

timvw7476 wrote: There are three adjustment points, 2 upper eccentrics & threaded right tie rod
Should be like aligning an old RWDamerican car,only quicker & shimless.
If this bus has all this new/rebuilt stuff, wouldn't that leave the drag link
joints & relay arm pin as suspect?

I run two left tie rods for a more accurate alignment.

I agree that the drag link could be misadjusted, he doesn't say if it was replaced. Nor does he say if the center pin was in good order or if it was rebuild.

What type of tires did you put on this mint '73?

How about some pics

richparker Thu May 28, 2015 7:00 pm

cmonSTART wrote: Disregard.

I'll answer it. I got mine done at a regular shop with a four wheel alignment machine. This shop is near my VW shop and the guy who did mine has done around a dozen buses and bugs now so he's getting pretty good at it. I also tipped him $20 before the job so he'd do a good job.

Lil Lulu Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm

I can see why you did so Rich and I probably would have too, but it seems like a total pisser to have to pay extra for the guy to just do his damn job.

SGKent Thu May 28, 2015 9:04 pm

the first question to start with always is a test. you park the car with the wheels straight forward as you can. Then you roll down the driver window and get out. Standing next to the driver door you rock the steering wheel back and forth until the front tires just start to load either way. Then ask yourself how much the steering wheel is moving. You can use one finger of your other hand as a pointer to see better how much it moves. 1/2" to 5/8" is what VW wants but 3/4" is probably the best you will get with these aftermarket parts. If you have more than 3/4" then you need to find where it is. Once you have the steering lash down to 3/4" or less and it still wanders, look at alignment, tight ball joints like Wildthings said (which is very accurate) and tires. My 1977 with a new VW box and all new parts doesn't steer as well as I remember my 1971 HOWEVER we are all spoiled with the expensive variable rack and pinion that comes on late model cars.

pitbug Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Did you check drag link? that was my problem after 4 years of "Popeye Arms" I can now drive with 1 hand :roll:

Tcash Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Types of things to look for.

Good Luck
Tcash